WSK versus Kettle - spatchcock chicken

Todd K Wisc

TVWBB Super Fan
I saw this video on youtube from Kenyatta Robinson on cooking chickens on the kettle versus the WSK and spoiler, they thought the kettle chicken was better.

I have a theory that using the Slow-n-Sear on the kettle draws the smoke across the chicken and out the vents and on the WSK, the smoke doesn't go over the chicken as well and goes out the center vent. I was thinking using the charcoal baskets on each side would be better with the chicken in the middle to draw the smoke over the chicken. The WSK was a fuel miser and cooked the chicken faster, so there would be less smoke in the chamber due to this, which could also be a reason for less smokey flavor. What are your thoughts on this?

How are you all cooking your whole or spatchcock chicken on the WSK?

I saw this video on youtube from Kenyatta Robinson on cooking chickens on the kettle versus the WSK and spoiler, they thought the kettle chicken was better.

I have a theory that using the Slow-n-Sear on the kettle draws the smoke across the chicken and out the vents and on the WSK, the smoke doesn't go over the chicken as well and goes out the center vent. I was thinking using the charcoal baskets on each side would be better with the chicken in the middle to draw the smoke over the chicken. The WSK was a fuel miser and cooked the chicken faster, so there would be less smoke in the chamber due to this, which could also be a reason for less smokey flavor. What are your thoughts on this?

How are you all cooking your whole or spatchcock chicken on the WSK?

Kettles are the most popular charcoal grill in the world for a reason.

I just cooked a whole spatch chicken on the E6 last the Sunday before this one with great success....
The following Sunday I cooked the same style chicken but I split in into halves and cooked it in the 22 kettle.
The E6 hands down outcooked the chicken by a mile...it wasn't even close.
How did you cook the chicken on the E6 (setup, temps, etc.)?

My most recent thread...........again my numbers for temps and times are loose as I never write anything down.
I also like to stay hydrated.....a bit anyways.
Both chicken cooks are in that thread.

1719337428480.png

Last edited:
While I prefer the E6, I used only my performer for a couple of cooks. I can honestly say I forgot how dang good they are.
My performer was $500, not $140 but a basic kettle will cook the same.
Did chicken, steak, corn, mixed veggies on the kettle and loved the results and I did not have to fuss much with the vents contrary to what was said in the video.

My $.02

Ugh…While I don’t particularly like the WSK, I’m getting tired of these videos where they try to cook on them like it’s just a kettle instead of treating it like a kamado, and then they complain that it didn’t quite work as well as expected.

The vent location matters on the kettle cooking indirect. In the kamado, they should be using the deflector plate for indirect cooking.

I don't have a WSK but a Akorn Auto- Kamado. Since they are so miserly on fuel and insulated I get more smoke flavor when using equal amounts of smoke media vs using one of my kettles.
I need to dial back on the amount. I did a spatched turkey on the Kamado and would put that up against any I did on my kettles.
Not saying which is better but it's nice to have options.

I don't have a WSK but a Akorn Auto- Kamado. Since they are so miserly on fuel and insulated I get more smoke flavor when using equal amounts of smoke media vs using one of my kettles.
I need to dial back on the amount. I did a spatched turkey on the Kamado and would put that up against any I did on my kettles.
Not saying which is better but it's nice to have options.
I love having options.

I should get in my car and drive down to Kenyatta and challenge him to a cook. He’s about 1 hour from me.

9/10 times it’s the chef, not the grill.

I’ll just stop right there.

My favorite chicken method is halves, cooked down the runway of the WSk, wood chunks atop the grate and at 400°F.

Smoky, juicy and flavorful. Pull when the breast reaches 155°F and let it rest 10 minutes before serving and slicing parts.

I should get in my car and drive down to Kenyatta and challenge him to a cook. He’s about 1 hour from me.

9/10 times it’s the chef, not the grill.

I’ll just stop right there.

My favorite chicken method is halves, cooked down the runway of the WSk, wood chunks atop the grate and at 400°F.

Smoky, juicy and flavorful. Pull when the breast reaches 155°F and let it rest 10 minutes before serving and slicing parts.

Down the runway? I assume that means in the middle with the coal baskets on each side? Asking so I can try it.

I have had awesome luck cooking chicken pieces on the vortex in WSK, but whole chicken / spatchcock / or halves I have not done on the WSK and resort to the WSM to do.

Down the runway? I assume that means in the middle with the coal baskets on each side? Asking so I can try it.

I have had awesome luck cooking chicken pieces on the vortex in WSK, but whole chicken / spatchcock / or halves I have not done on the WSK and resort to the WSM to do.

Link to one of Brett's "runway cooks"

Perfect. thank you. I will give this a go next time.

the runway? I assume that means in the middle with the coal baskets on each side? Asking so I can try it.
Yes, exactly. Place HD foil in the charcoal grate to catch the drippings or place an aluminum pan there with some small creamer potatoes and cook them with the chicken drippings on them. Quite yummy this way.

Regulate your temp to around 400°F. That’s all you’ll need.

I also like Costco’s natural chickens that are air chilled. They’re normal sized birds and the flavor is nicer than say one of those production oversized chickens. JMO.

Thx. You saved me a bunch of time. Much appreciated for the help. You’re hired.

I just cooked a whole spatch chicken on the E6 the Sunday before this one with great success....
The following Sunday I cooked the same style chicken but I split in into halves and cooked it in the 22 kettle.
The E6 hands down outcooked the chicken by a mile...it wasn't even close.
Can you explain what you mean by "hands down outlooked"? Does that mean it cooked faster, tasted better, better texture? Thanks

Can you explain what you mean by "hands down outlooked"? Does that mean it cooked faster, tasted better, better texture? Thanks
Outcooked......
Check my thread I posted.....both chicken cooks are there....the juiciness, texture, taste.....everything was better.

Back