WSCG and Weber Kamado E6/S6 Owners: briquettes or lump for pork butt

I've only cooked pork butts on ceramic kamado where I had to use lump.

Now that I have the Weber kamado E6 and I picked out a pork butt (7.6 pounds) today to cook this week, I figured I'd ask if briquettes would give me more stable temperatures versus lump.

I only have b&b lump on hand that I like because it has large chunks. I don't have any briquettes and would have to purchase some if I decide to go that route.

I've never cooked on a charcoal grill with briquettes. It was either gas or kamado.

I plan on cooking at 275°.

I know a lot of people use lump successfully for long cooks, but (in my admittedly limited experience) the temps jump around too much for my liking. Prefer the predictability of briquettes.

I'd use lump. Temp stability is like a ceramic kamado, controlled by how much combustion air is available. 275 should be easy to hold.

I am in Grant’s camp. Before my WSCG I used used both briquettes and lump but liked the consistency of briquettes. 2 years into using the WSCG and all I’ve used is briquettes and am happy with it.

I am in Grant’s camp. Before my WSCG I used used both briquettes and lump but liked the consistency of briquettes. 2 years into using the WSCG and all I’ve used is briquettes and am happy with it.
If you get around to experimenting, JD in the WSC does very well, both high heat direct sear and low n slow (ribs) at 250-270° indirect with diffuser for 3.5-4 hours. I’m doing a butt next weekend and planning on JDXL with some fruitwood for this cook. Very stable and excellent flavor.

I’m a lump convert. It cooks more consistently, temps are dead even, and the flavor profile is superior to briquettes.

Frankly, in the last two years, I can’t recall the last time I used briquettes. And I used to solely use them and not lump.

There was is definitely something to say about doing whatever you’re comfortable with. I’ve even mixed them with cold briqs in bottom and minion with hot lump on top.
I will say that I just got some of the JD XL lump from my local Academy sports. I really like it but have only used it direct/i direct cooks ……steak, chicken breast and wings, ABTs, etc. on my
Havent worked a low and slow on my Summit Kamado yet.

Just following up since I did a pork butt today that I posted in another thread. I used lump and the cook was 6 hours and the temps were pretty stable. I had to teeak the vents a few times until I finally locked in on my Target Temp of 275°.

So the higher temps definitely help out and shortening the cooking time.

Anyway, just circling back on my results.

I've been migrating over to lump steadily since purchasing. I prefer the flavor, and find they just burn hotter when needed. No problem with temp control as long as you light carefully.

Back