Wow dit it

Michael Goldman

TVWBB Fan
Well. Took a deep breath today and drilled two 1/2 inch holes in my new 18inch wsm.. Installed short threaded pipe,nuts and end caps.. Went great.no problem at all, used a step drill bit, double layer of painter tape,and a little oil on the bit..very happy with the results.. Will be getting my maverick temp probe on wed.. Looking forward to useing it with the installed mod.thanks to this forum for guiding me with this project.. Was a little nervous about the chance of chipping.. Never happened..so far i have smoked a pork picnic and pork ribs.. All tasted great.however the ribs were a little overdone.. They gave a new meaning to "falling off thr bone>> wife wants a ssmoked turkey next..

Glad it went well Mike. I remember the first hole I drilled, there have been plenty since between two smokers and a kettle. The Uni bit is the way to go. A stainless washer can usually cover a chip nicely too although I see you did not have that issue. You will enjoy a smoked turkey. I've done a few and they are great.

Don't forget to post pics. We need them to verify your cook :rolleyes: kidding of course

Last edited:
Hi gary,yes, a little nervous before i drilled.. As i said ,it went fine.. Recvd my maverick yesterday. Looking forward to useing it next time i smoke. I will try to post mod. I use picasa.. Only complaint so far on the mav are those two tiny screws on the battery cover.have a great day

Hi, after going to home depot,loews and a local ace hardware ,i was in sarasota buying the step drill bit that i used to drill the holes.. Up the street was ace hardware.. They had everything.. 1/2 inch od ,5/8 inch id..nuts and caps..all fit perfect.

Yep, first hole is the hardest, I just started with a small bit and kept working my way up until the hole was the correct size. I think that I used some type of plumbing fixture for my hardware and a proper cap for it.....................d

HI DAVID, LOOKS LIKE YOU DID OK'' GOT MY 12LB TURKEY TODAY FROM PUBLIX.. THAWING IN REFER.. LOOKING FORWARD TO SMOKEING MY FIRST BIRD..WILL HAVE TO PROGRAM MY NEW MAVERICK PROBE FOR THE 1ST TIME.. WILL LIKELY BRINE 1ST.. HOPE TO COOK THURS.. :cool:

Hi brett, btw,born and raised in brooklyn.live in sw fl now..turkey came out ok.. Was just a little dry.. Took it off at breast temp 160.. Will be doing 2 racks ribs on sunday....

That's OK... the next one will be better. I find that from rig to rig people measure temp with slight differences. Most everyone here agrees the good note keeping leads to regular improvement. Adjust the next one based on your past experience. It'll be great. Even the less than perfect attempt still makes a great stock though. :)

I'll also be doing ribs this weekend. Saturday is our block party, and I'll be packing the WSM22 with 14 Racks. An adventure for sure, but I've done it before.

Brett.
Mill Basin, Bkn

Michael, I am doing Turkey this year for the first time. Might I asked what temp did you cook Turkey at? I am going to use the recipe on Amazing Ribs.com http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html

I will probably use a vertical roaster too. You said it came out dry? Both Dark and white?

BTW- I was born and raised in BKLYN (east NY)................I live in Seattle now.

Lots of mods on WSM 22.5 will post later.

Hi lloyd,yes, as i said, turkey was a little dry..wsm ran a little hot. 350-375. Still getting used to amount of coals..i even injected a little.. Chicken broth and butter..will be trying a chicken next week..maverick did show 160-165 when i took it off. I think i just put it on too soon.. Higher temp in beginning.. Good luck on your cook..

Hi lloyd,yes, as i said, turkey was a little dry..wsm ran a little hot. 350-375. Still getting used to amount of coals..i even injected a little.. Chicken broth and butter..will be trying a chicken next week..maverick did show 160-165 when i took it off. I think i just put it on too soon.. Higher temp in beginning.. Good luck on your cook..

Thanks Michael for the reply. I use a BBQ GURU with the WSM and love it.

Back