Would I be a traitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ines Burriola

Closed Account
Hi all, I work at a Wal-Mart Supercenter. I can get a display model New Braunfels "Bandera" for a real good price. It looks like an awesome smoker and is highly thought of by a guy who sells BBQ at a local farmers market. Does anybody else use another brand smoker besides your WSM? Would I be considered a traitor for getting it or an iodit for not buying it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chach

Ines,

I have an NB Bandera as well as a couple of WSM's, the Bandera is an excellent smoker and will give you years of enjoyment.

I have a small .zip file of easy modifications for the Bandera that I accumulated from the Bandera email list on Yahoo. If you like I will send them to you directly.

I suggest doing three of the mods right off the bat. Raising the charcoal grate for better airflow, raising the ash pan so to prevent rust and adding a baffle between the firebox and vertical. The baffle is important as it promotes even heating in the vertical.

All these are easy to do and will cost less than $10.

Enjoy,
Gary
gwiv@gwiv.com

Is it the new Char Broil version? Thinner metal and smaller than the original? A friend of mine has an original model-- one heavy son-of-a-gun-- and has done some good BBQ on it-- when he uses wood to fire it. It would have to be an original one and a lot less than $180 to make me choose it over a WSM, and even then...

Hi all, not sure if it is a char-broil model or not. It has a state of Texas emblem on it that says New Bruanfels and the sticker on the front that is a bit tattered dosen't say anything about char-broil. Gary I would like to have that file if you don't mind I think that I should get this smoker the garden mgr is a friend of mine. Let see display model, late season/seasonal item. Maybe I can get it for a donation to CMN. We'll see.

Chach

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ines Burriola:
[qb]Does anybody else use another brand smoker besides your WSM?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You must have missed this thread about toys people have besides their WSM.

Regards,
Chris

The new ones prominently say Char Broil. If you don't see it on the label on the smoke chamber door, it's an original. They sold at HD here for $288. If you can get it for half that or better, go for it. You could use it as a learning tool, and even if you end up not liking it, you could sell it for more than you paid.

Local KMart is "blowing out" NB "Silver Smokers" for $89. I just got my WSM, but sure looked twice at that price. I looked twice, but my next purchase will be a new Weber kettle.

I think one thing that happens when you buy and try other smokers is that you get a better appreciation for how great the WSM really is. I should know because I've bought several and I just can't find anything that equals it.

Well, that's my two cents worth - but it costs me a lot more than two cents !

PRG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back