Worsteshire Sauce powder

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I Was at The Spice House an they ha a new rub that they said was a Brisket Rub and i noticed one of the ingredients is Worstishire Sauce Powder. So I asked about it and they don't currently sell it separately but it sure sounded like an interesting ingredient to put in a rub. They brought up the tub of it and wow was it strong.

Anyone ever heard of this before??

I'm thinking it could be a really good ingredient in rub.

When I have a little time I'm going to pick some up and maybe try it in the brisket rub I use to see how it affects the flavor.

love the stuff. I have my parent's pick me up a summer's worth when the stay in tampa for the month of march.

I think the place is call Old Pass Spice Trader, the have a bunch of locations around the US and have a website (not sure what it is though).

They stock a lot of odd powders that Penzey's doesn't.

It seems possible to make your own if you're into that kindof thing. my attempt.

Been using it as well for a few years. It's nice when you want the flavor of Worcestershire sauce, but don't want to add any liquid to what you're making, i.e. like in chipotle mayo. I get mine same place as Kevin.

How do you store it? I bought some about six weeks ago and noticed yesterday that it is now one large wet looking lump. I store it in the same place that I store my other spices and have never had a problem with them drawing in moisture.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Holloway:
It is also available at Spice Barn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes it is, but it's not that great. I'll never buy it from there again. I bought a bottle when ordering granulated onion from them over winter, just to try it. Once opened it turns into concrete in a bottle pretty fast, and the flavor is not that great. The worcestershire powder from World Spice is 10X better, than from the Spice barn IMO. Plus it doesn't turn into concrete.

can you give me some other examples of recipes you sue it in and the quantities you would use the worcestshire powder in???

So as I experiment I might have a baseline to start from..(maybe better asked now to have recipes posted in the recipe folder)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">can you give me some other examples of recipes you sue it in and the quantities you would use the worcestshire powder in??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my beef rub:

2 parts chile powder
2 parts peppercorns
1 part kosher salt
1 part dried herbs
2/3 part dried onion/garlic
1/3 part worcestershire powder
1/6 part additional ground spices

I have not used it, but I have thought about soaking my onion slices in worcestershire sauce before dehydrating to make onion powder. Mmmmmm. Sounds good.

Interesting...I was just browsing through my Pendery's catalog and noticed they sold Worcestershire powder and wondered the same thing! Could you mix this stuff in a burger?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank S:
How do you store it? I bought some about six weeks ago and noticed yesterday that it is now one large wet looking lump. I store it in the same place that I store my other spices and have never had a problem with them drawing in moisture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had that happen also. Am interested in hearing the responses to this one. I had mine tightly capped in a (reletively) cool, dark cupboard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by russell swift:
Interesting...I was just browsing through my Pendery's catalog and noticed they sold Worcestershire powder and wondered the same thing! Could you mix this stuff in a burger? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course. You can use it in anything you would use the sauce in. The powder is great for adding it to things that you want to remain thick, i.e. mayo, sourcream, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dann B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank S:
How do you store it? I bought some about six weeks ago and noticed yesterday that it is now one large wet looking lump. I store it in the same place that I store my other spices and have never had a problem with them drawing in moisture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had that happen also. Am interested in hearing the responses to this one. I had mine tightly capped in a (reletively) cool, dark cupboard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I posted above, the woosty powder from the Spice Barn turned into concrete, while the woosty powder from World Spice did not. Guess it all depends on the source, and how it's made, and anti-caking agents.

Back