Worn ceramic finish on Tuck Away lid bail

ChadRex

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Char folks,

I recently received a warranty replacement for the Tuck Away lid holder for my Performer.

When I went to swap it, I discovered damaged finish where the lid holder connects to the kettle.

Weber is replacing the bowl. ( they are actually sending me a new bowl and new lid because my performer color is no longer available.).

Anyway, I am looking for guidance on how to repair the damage spots where lid bail connects.

Kevin L. did suggest using additional larger washers where the bail connects to the kettle,
I need to at least finish the worn area so the new bail won't further damage the bowl.

Does anyone else with the Tuck Away lid holder see wear spots on their kettle?

Any ideas to restore/repair the damage?20231018_133020.JPG

20231018_133016.JPG

Get the rust off, clean surface with Isopropyl rubbing alcohol (90% alcohol or higher), and coat it with high temp black paint to protect from future rust. After that I’ve used Testors enamel model paint on lids & bowls for odd colors but just on small areas. I mix colors to get desired color. It has held up so far but not sure how it will hold up to repeated high heat over time. I only use on exterior sufaces.

Last edited:
Nothing will replace the glass coating and last , your getting new parts so why try to repair? do you have enough parts to build another?

I have never seen that happen before, I question if it was ever installed properly.
I think it happened when the movers moved our grill. They probably grabbed the lid bail like a handle and put pressure on strain on the bolt connection.

I am going to sand out the small amount of rust and hit it with high heat primer and a blue color high heat paint. Then I will add an extra larger washer so the lid hail doesn't rub too much on the grill.

Lesson learned, when moving the kettle ( across state lines. In a new location) remove the lid bail.

Fortunately Weber is sent me a new lid bail and are sending me a new bowl and lid.- they no longer have my color so I am getting a Crimson.

I am going to repair my current one, and try to use the new bowl and lid to build another Performer (one the the standard Performer with the folding side table). If I can find one for a good deal less than 300.00. Ideally I would love to have one of the Weber Platinums ( platypus style).
The standard Performer only comes in black so having a Crimson one will make it unique.

Weber warranty replacement is amazing.

Last edited:
Nothing will replace the glass coating and last , your getting new parts so why try to repair? do you have enough parts to build another?
I am going to try to get a base Performer used. Re purpose the cart and build a Crimson Performer

Update with refinish.1st of 3 coats.

I had Sherwin Williams paint match ( took my lid in) the color of the 2015 Crate & Barrel Performer Deluxe blue it most closely matches Sherwin Williams "morning glory" .

I used a grey high heat primer.

Then mixed morning glory paint with high heat clear coat. I just mixed it together.

I am going to let it dry, lightly sand then add another coat, sand and finish with high heat clear gloss.

Purely cosmetic, but I think it turned out to be a close match.

Hopefully the finish will stand up to the kettle heat.20231020_120158.JPG

Last edited:

Back