World Trade Center Tragedy

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Speaking for all Canadians that I know, I want to express my deepest sympathies to all Americans in the wake of this unspeakable horror. History shows that you are a proud and honourable people who prevail in the face of tyranny and evil. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We stand with you.
Do what you have to do.

P.J.

Thanks for the post - I have not had dinner for the past two nights and you will not see me post for quite a while. This is going to cause a lot of problems that most people are unaware of.

Love to the list,
Steve

Peter
Thank You very much.
My heart hurts, it hurts like it did 34 years ago while in Viet Nam when I lost people that were like brothers to me. I never thought I'd feel this way again.
God bless those we have lost and their families.
God bless Amreica.
Jim

Peter,

I'm grateful for your sentiments. It's nice to know that we are not alone in this tragedy. It looks like we are in the process of taking names....well, you know what comes after that.

Doug

Thank you, Peter, for your kind note. There are many who care and it's nice to know we're not alone with our grief.

I'd like to share a note I received from a relative in Germany:
----------------------------------------
We are all shocked about the terrorist attack on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.
We hope that you are all well and that none of your friends has been killed or injured!

This was not only a terrorist attack but a declaration of war against the whole civilised world. Many German companies have
stopped to work for five minutes to think of all the people having been killed in the disaster.

May God bless America and help President Bush to take the right decisions!
We are suffering with you.
---------------------------------------
May God be with the families in their sorrow and loss and with the country in the aftermath to come.

Rita

Peter-

Thanks for your sentiments. This is the first I've been on the forum since Tuesday.

I work in mid-town Manhattan, and it has been a different place this week. Yesterday bomb threats were called into the two train stations and a number of buildings. Today things seem to have settled back to something closer to normal, but I don't think anything will ever be as it was.

Ken

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your comments. As a firefighter, the past couple of days have been devastating. I'm hearing reports of perhaps 400 of my brothers and sisters missing. I was going to leave for the city last night, but decided to heed the wishes of the FDNY and not go unless I am formally requested. I am on a list, but it is extremely hard to sit and watch without doing anything. We are people of action, and that is what makes it so hard. My brothers and sisters never hesitated to spring into action. They will forever be remembered.

I have one request of the great people of this board. It is simple, and I apologize to Chris for this solicitation. Here is a website: www.firehouse.com. Perhaps at some time in the future, instead of spending money on meat and charcoal, you could find it in your hearts to make a donation to the families of these brave souls. Believe me when I say that the FDNY has been devastated beyond belief, and although they are the best, toughest most resilient bunch of firefighters in the world, there are going to be a lot of children with no fathers. The site will direct you to the proper place to send the donations, and they would surely appreciate the gesture.

Peter, I can tell you that I have been generally warmed at the worldwide support that this great nation has been given. In the end the human spirit will triumph, but it is very special to know that we are not alone. Thank you.

It is very strange, how the world goes. Monday night at about 11:30 my biggest worry was finding the perfect barbeque sauce. The next day the world changed, and it will be a long time before my thoughts return to such a simple happiness.

God Bless America, and I hope that everyone here has come through this with friends and family intact. Sincerely,

Derek

Derek
I have spent time with Chris and he is a man
with a big heart. I've got a feeling that he doesn't mind at all you posting the site.
God bless you and all the others that will place theirselves in harms way in the hard times to come.
Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. I will say that in this profession one tends to adopt a can do attitude. When I first turned on my television on Tuesday, they were just breaking in for the first time with the story. I had my little boy with me and he sat on my lap. I was explaining to him that the brothers were going to get the people out of the building, and that I wished that I could be there to help. When the second plane hit, my attitude never changed, but I was much more intense, and I realized that, although things had been complicated greatly, that the FDNY was the most capable department in the nation to handle the rescue of these trapped people. When people began to jump out of the building, I reeled a bit, knowing that the situation was grave, but still knew that many could be rescued. When the towers fell, so did my heart. I realized that very few people would be coming out of the building, and that many of my brothers had gone in, and stayed because there was a job to do and that as a group we just don't back away.

This is a tradgedy on so many levels, and I don't mean to put only one facet on this. But this is my real point of reference, and it shows how brave those men and women really are. They loved their jobs and went willingly. I don't know one firefighter, or police officer who wouldn't have wanted to be there at 9:00 am.

Some day soon some kids with rifles and tanks are going to begin to avenge the deaths of my brothers and they too will love what they do, and will do it willingly. The bravery and spirit of this nation is unbelievable, as well as the kindness and resolve to defend our love of freedom and peace.

The kindness and kinship that has been shown on this board is indicative of this nation as a whole. It may have taken a very senseless, tragic, set of acts to rekindle this spirit on a national level, but soon the rest of the world will see what we here see every day. There is no resolve like a unified America.

Thanks, and best wishes to all.

Derek

Here is an excellent periodical from a nice Canadian:

TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES

This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.

America: The Good Neighbor.

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

?This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I?d like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don?t they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American
Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German
technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times - and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at . Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting
American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don?t think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I?m one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those.?

Stand proud, America! Wear it proudly!!
This is one of the best editorials that I have ever read regarding the United States. It is nice that one man realizes it. I only wish that the rest of the world would realize it. We are always blamed for everything, and never even get a thank you for the things we do.

I would hope that each of you would send this to as many people as you can and emphasize that they should send it to as many of their friends until this letter is sent to every person on the web. I am just a single American that has read this,
I SURE HOPE THAT A LOT MORE READ IT SOON.
Thanks to all who support the U.S. many countries around the globe have begun to show us they are ready to walk the walk with us and put an end to the Devil Himself Bin Laden and we will show that the angels of the world will fall upon him........

Palamin0

Another excellent letter:

An open letter to a terrorist:

Well, you hit the World Trade Center, but you missed America. You hit the Pentagon, but you missed America. You used helpless American bodies, to take out other American bodies, but like a poor marksman, you STILL missed America.

Why? Because of something you guys will never understand. America isn't about a building or two, not about financial centers, not about military centers, America isn't about a place, America isn't even about a bunch of bodies.

America is about an IDEA. An idea, that you can go someplace where you can earn as much as you can figure out how to, live for the most part, like you envisioned living, and pursue Happiness. (No guarantees that you'll reach it, but you can sure try!)

Go ahead and whine your terrorist whine, and chant your terrorist litany: "If you can not see my point, then feel my pain." This concept is alien to Americans. We live in a country where we don't have to see your point. But you're free to have one. We don't have to listen to your speech. But you're free to say one. Don't know where you got the strange idea that everyone has to agree with you. We don't agree with each other in this country, almost as a matter of pride.

We're a collection of guys that don't agree, called States. We united our individual states to protect ourselves from tyranny in the world. Another idea, we made up on the spot. You CAN make it up as you go, when it's your country.

If you're free enough.

Yeah, we're fat, sloppy, easy-going goofs most of the time. That's an unfortunate image to project to the world, but it comes of feeling free and easy about the world you live in. It's unfortunate too, because people start to forget that when you attack Americans, they tend to fight like a cornered badger.

The first we knew of the War of 1812, was when England burned Washington D.C. to the ground. Didn't turn out like England thought it was going to, and it's not going to turn out like you think, either. Sorry, but you're not the first bully on our shores, just the most recent.

No Marquis of Queensbury rules for Americans, either.

We were the FIRST and so far, only country in the world to use nuclear weapons in anger. Horrific idea, nowadays? News for you bucko, it was back then too, but we used it anyway. Only had two of them in the whole world and we used 'em both. Grandpa Jones worked on the Manhattan Project. Told me once, that right up until they threw the switch, the physicists were still arguing over whether the Uranium alone would fission, or whether it would start a fissioning chain reaction that would eat everything. But they threw the switch anyway, because we had a war to win.

Does that tell you something about American Resolve?

So who just declared War on us? It would be nice to point to some real estate, like the good old days. Unfortunately, we're probably at war with random camps, in far-flung places. Who think they're safe.

Just like the Barbary Pirates did, IIRC.

Better start sleeping with one eye open.

There's a spirit that tends to take over people who come to this country, looking for opportunity, looking for liberty, looking for freedom. Even if they misuse it. The Marielistas that Castro emptied out of his prisons, were overjoyed to find out how much freedom there was.

First thing they did when they hit our shores, was run out and buy guns. The ones that didn't end up dead, ended up in prisons. It was a big PITA then (especially in south Florida), but you're only the newest PITA, not the first.

You guys seem to be incapable of understanding that we don't live in America, America lives in US! American Spirit is what it's called. And killing a few thousand of us, or a few million of us, won't change it. Most of the time, it's a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of Spirit.

Until we're crossed in a cowardly manner, then it becomes an entirely different kind of Spirit.

Wait until you see what we do with that Spirit, this time.

Sleep tight, if you can. We're coming.

Charles Brennan

I donated to Fireman 911 fund last night and will be making another donation today in the name of my father of passed last night from Parkinson. A WW2 vet, that was there for anyone that need help, a teacher, and very good man. He loved Brisket.
The events of Tuesday even effect this happening, my parents live in Noblesville IN and there is no way to get a flight out to be with my mother and sister at this time.
Tuesday has changed our lifes in ways we are still to learn about.
Tell your family how much you love them.
God bless America.
Jim

I offer my condolences Jim. I know what it is like. My father passed on 13 years ago at only 59. He had alot of medical problems from Vietnam. Yes, you definitely want to spend as much time with family while you can.
Good luck with whatever you do with your situation Jim.

Dear Jim,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for your and their loss. How sad that you could not be with them. Please know that we are thinking of you.

Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back