working with smaller brisket

G Poe

I have been purchasing the smaller brisket 4-6 pounds. Tried them just like the posts say.. fat side down.. rub lot temps.. never above 250 on my WSM. full water pan.. took the one off yesterday after 7 hours and let it sit in cooler for 2 more. Good smoke ring, tastes good but dry dry dry.. even sprayed it with beer the last couple of hours.. What oh What am I doing wrong.. any help apprecitaed.

I am doing a 5.75 fat off brisket and a 6.5 lb pork shoulder today. I put a near full can of coals down and added and unlit one about 3/4 full and hickeory and apple. In about 1/2 hour had a 250 temp, and closed the vents to about 25% I plan to let it cook about 6-7 hours.
I agree w/ kevin, did you foil it for 1-2 hours? That is SO important to lock the juices in.

Thanks for the response. I took the brisket off at an internal temp of 147. I then wrapped it in foil and let it sit in a cooler for 3 hours more. thinking that this would help the juices return to the meat.. in cooler fat side up.
George

If you pulled it at 147 then it was dry because it was undercooked and the internal rendering had not yet started. Try foiling when it hits the low-mid 160s, returning it to the cooker, and letting it continue to cook to the mid-upper 180s. Then remove and rest fat up.

Thanks again for the help. So what your telling me is I should have left it on the smoker till it hit 160 and then pulled it and wrapped it in foil and pur it back on the smoker? or should have I then put it in the cooler?
Your help is really appreciated. I really want to master this brisket thing.

George, you'll master it. I t just takes a few attempts and some adjustments. Follow Nick's suggestion on temp. Check the brisket at 185 and if it feels soft and tender--your probe enters effortlessly--it's done; if not, wait till the temp goes up a couple degrees and check again. If you wish you can add a little liquid to the foil when you first foil (recommended if the flat is on the thin side) or when you pull it to rest. (Beef stock, say, 3/4 c mixed with a pat of unsalted butter, or half that plus a portion of your sauce are just a couple of the possibilities. If using canned stock I'd recommend a 50-50 mix of beef and low-salt chicken as canned beef stock is notoriously tinny regardless of brand.)

In the first scenario you'll create a braising/steaming situation--not necessarily necessary if the brisket is well marbled but if it isn't, or if it is on the thin side, it can help the juiciness factor. In the latter scenario: Meat has an increased capacity to absorb liquid as it cools, so during the rest some liquids/flavors can be absorbed. Excess liquid can (should, imo) be added to whatever sauce you've made to add 'meatiness' and to tie it better with the brisket.

Give it another shot and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help. I definitely will keep trying. Even made double sure Sam's sold choice brisket. I will keep you posted as to how the next one turns out.. already told the wife to get ready to eat a lot of brisket untill I get it down.
George

I'm sure this has been asked before, but can you cut a flat in half, turn one lean half over on the over so you have two fat covered halves, bind them with butchers twine, smoke'm and have as good results as having the point there?

i cooked a flat this weekend, about 8 pounds I guess. I started it at about 7 am on the bottom rack beneath 2 butts that had been on since 1. I used the Texas BBQ Brisket rub. At 3, the brisket was still very tough, the butts not quite done. I took them all off, foiled, and popped them in a 350* oven. Within an hour, the butts were done. I took the brisket off at six -- it was bloody perfect. Tender and soft without falling apart. Moist and juicy. I almost cried that I had to put it in the freezer.

Steve the problem for many of us is that thin part of the flat. My preference is to cook a packer but I trim the thinnest 1/3 of the flat and just lay it on top of the rest of the brisket during the cook.

Taking a flat cutting in half and tying makes a lot of sense!

Back