Worcestershire sauce with dry rub? Any Experience.

Jonny K

TVWBB Fan
I was reading through the forum and someone used some TexasBBQ Rub brand rub on their smoke so I decided to check out the site. There's a section in there called "Secrets Revealed" They say there a simple guarantee for great ribs that is:

The Secret Three Minute Formula Is.....

1. Pick your favorite meat
2. Rub Worcestershire sauce on the meat
3. Rub meat with Texas BBQ Rub

Has anyone every tried Worcestershire sauce before putting rub on their ribs? I've been using yellow mustard thus far.

Thanks for any feedback!

I've tried it and like it. It adds a little something that's hard to describe. Most of the time, however, I just rub my butts after rinsing and patting them dry, let them sit while I set the WSM up, then give them one more coat before putting them on. I tried the yellow mustard method once but this gives me the bark formation I like.

Bill

BTW, there's a thread on here somewhere that discussed "The Secret Three Minute Formula".

Thanks again Bill. You're like my personal BBQ mentor as is everyone else on this forum. I'll search for the The Secret Three Minute Formula thread.

Now just to shake your crotch. Is anyone here aware that Worcestershire Sauce contains ANCHOVIES!!!!!!!!!
icon_eek.gif

I actually knew that. You'd be surprised at how may things have anchovies. I believe some sauces that contain it call it "fish sauce" which is basically purified anchovy extract that looks caramel in color. My favorite steak sauce is Smith & Wollensky, the famous steak house in NY has anchovies in it too. It says contains fish right on the bottle. It's anchovy paste in this case.

I get it at Williams Sonoma. I haven't seen it at the grocers here in WI. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. There nothing quite like it. One of my favorite things to put it on is baked potatoes. It's about $8.50 a bottle but worth every drop.

I hope I didn't digress too much.

Johnny,

I have used Worsty sauce with the Texas BBQ Rub and I enjoy it. I don't really know what the worsty sauce brings to the dance, so to say, but it definitely helps the rub adhere to the meat and it make a real nice paste with the rub.

Whenever I do butts I either slather with Worsty or regular Yellow Mustard, regardless of what rub I use, I think it helps with the bark.

Well, to each his own. I don't like it. Maybe it's the fish, cause I really don't like fish at all. I use mustard when I rub a butt and I do like the way it makes a paste that sticks real nice to the meat. If you like Worcestershire then I'm sure you'll like using it this way. Personally, just not my thing.

You can also buy Worcestershire powder from the spice companies and use that straight in the rub as an ingredient.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris:
You can also buy Worcestershire powder from the spice companies and use that straight in the rub as an ingredient. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But the question was does anybody use Worcestershire sauce to apply their rub.
icon_wink.gif
You'd play Hell trying to get rub to stick using Worcestershire powder, NO?
icon_eek.gif

To answer the question yes, it's how i apply all my rubs to the meat that i'm smoking. I use the 3 min method wehter i'm using Texas BBQ rub or Head Country or............ Works like a charm.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris:
You can also buy Worcestershire powder from the spice companies and use that straight in the rub as an ingredient. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But the question was does anybody use Worcestershire sauce to apply their rub.
icon_wink.gif
You'd play Hell trying to get rub to stick using Worcestershire powder, NO?
icon_eek.gif

To answer the question yes, it's how i apply all my rubs to the meat that i'm smoking. I use the 3 min method wehter i'm using Texas BBQ rub or Head Country or............ Works like a charm.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually you can use Worcestershire powder and honey and anything will stick to it!
icon_biggrin.gif

Anchovy paste can be purchased at most supermarkets and added to salad dressing - the vinegar and oil type as opposed to creamy dressings.

I ALWAYS put Worchestershire (Lea&Perrins) on briskett, pork but and ribsd for an hours or so before putting on the rub. It makes a kinda wet rub. I am not sure if it help to penetrate the meat, but it does add something. BTW, I like anchovies.

Jonny,

I always put Worchestershire on my ribs and I have never had any problem getting the rub to stick to my ribs. In fact, the worst ribs I did on my WSM wrer too hot (spicy) from too much rub. My personal preference now is a light dusting onto the Worchestershire sauce. I rub the sauce in and then sprinkle with the dry rub and then again rub with my hands.

Ray

I use worcestershire on ribs quite often with Texas BBQ Rub. One thing I've learned (personal preference?) is that it only takes a very small amount. Too much, and I don't care for the flavor. I think all you are looking for is a little moisture to help the rub disolve.

JimT

Has anybody tried sprinkling their brisket with steak sauce (A1) before applying rub?

I believe Paul Kirk has several recipes, in his books, that use different liquids to glue the rub on meat.

Hey Steve, never used steak sauce but might try it, doesnt sound too bad! Have used worsy sauce on brisket first before applying the rub. Anchovies? Do you mean hairy bacon????
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

Steve, I've tried A1 as a rub and it burns because of its sugar content. So I wouldn't advise using it as a rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
Steve, I've tried A1 as a rub and it burns because of its sugar content. So I wouldn't advise using it as a rub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much did you use? I've tried a thin coat to hold on other rubs. I smoke at 225 most of the time and didn't notice it burn.

I was trying to find a slather that included a mixture of steak sauce, mustard, brown sugar and other ingredients. I can't seem to find it.

Yes. I have tried wooster with the TexasBBQRub

Back