Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff S.

TVWBB Fan
Is there a preference to white oak over red oak?
Also, when people use cherry wood, are they using wild cherry woods, or the kind you grow fruit from.
I have access to wild cherry wood, and both red and white oaks at my fathers house in the country, but wasnt sure if there was a preference.
Thanks all.

I have not been happy with pie cherry. This summer I am going to hack off a piece of the neighbors sweet cherry and see how it smokes.

I haven't had access to cherrywood but I've heard the wild variety is not good. I use red oak a lot and it has a great smoke for ribs, brisket, etc...

I use wild cherry wood- it's great on chicken. HOWEVER, my first time I used too much. It's pretty strong.

On most other meats, I use white oak. I use white oak because I have it. I have no idea about red oak.

I have also used pecan on ribs and pork butts with good results.

I hear white oak is better that red oak. White oak is sorta of mild though so when I use it I like to blend it with apple or hickory.

White oaks produce an acorn which is like candy to a deer. They're also great habitat for turkeys. In the SE they're going fast to make room for pine plantations. It's hard for me to think of it being used for smoke or fire wood, but otherwise I know it would simply rot on the ground.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back