Wood Source

Tom Murtiashaw

TVWBB Member
The source for my wood chunks has typically been Wal-Mart because they are the only store in town that always carries hickory chunks instead of just chips. The brand Wal-Mart had last year or at least the source of the hickory for that brand seemed to produce a more intense hickory aroma than the brand the stores carry now. Am I just imagining this, or have other members had similar experiences and as result located preferred sources for their smoke wood. I unfortunately am limited in what is available in Alaska, and having chunks shipped up is cost prohibitive. I am probably limited to Wal-Mart for my hickory, so this is more of a survey of similar experiences rather than a request for suggested wood sources. Thanks.

Different hickory species have different intensities. You won't find the particular kind of hickory on the bag. Look for chunks that originate in Texas--you'll likely be getting pecan which is milder and sweeter anyway!

Candy - that is a great tip... who knew? Well, you of all people would! (I'm still making my way through a huge bag of orange pellets).

I just wish I could tell the difference between hickory and pecan by looking at them, then I'd know I was getting a bargain (pecan for hickory).

Thanks for the tip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Candy Weaver:
Look for chunks that originate in Texas--you'll likely be getting pecan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that I would mind getting some pecan, but isn't the content of a bag that is supposed to contain Hickory regulated by some Govt. agency so that it actually contains Hickory?

You know, false advertising and all that.
Now if the bag said "Nut Tree Chunks", that would be different.

Back