Wood order arrived - Storage, Soak or not to soak?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I hope this is the right fourm for this post. If not please forgive.

So my order from Smokinlicious arrived and so far I'm very impressed. Excellent packaging, no bark, nice pieces, some large some small, which works for me as I'll use them with the Kettles as well as the WSM.

So here's my question; they say not to store in the bags they ship in, unless you leave the top open. They also say you can store them in the box they shipped in minus the liner/plastic bag they shipped in. How do other's store their wood chunks? I purchased several plastic bins with lids but they say not to store in a plastic bin with the lid on. I really prefer to leave the lid on for stacking purposes. What if I was to slice holes in the sides and lid, would that suffice? Also, bins are stored in my attached garage so it's almost like they're being stored in the house.

Also, I thought I'd read that there is no need to soak wood chunks. Smokinlicious recommends soaking for 30 minutes . . . what gives? Soak or no soak?

Thanks in advance,

You just don't want to have any residual moisture in the wood in a sealed plastic container promoting mold or mildew. I never soak chunks. See this.

I usually don't bother with soaking wood chunks. As far as storage goes I use a cardboard box because it's what I had handy at the time, however I don't see a problem with your plastic bins as long as something is done to provide some ventilation. Something similar to milk crates should also work and stack well.

WOW, what quick response(s). Doug, yes that's the article that I'd read. Just curious as the wood manufacturer sent an insert recommending soaking. Maybe they mean for a kettle type grill vs. a smoker?

I think I'll take a box cutter to my plastic bins and cut a few holes on the four sides and top. I wish I could shake my "anal" tendencies . . . but they must be stacked in bins with lids.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll let you know how the chunks are. I'm going to use the red oak on my Tri-Tips tonight.

Ciao,

Tony, a neighbor came over this evening for a beer and I mentioned to him that I was going to slice my plastic bins. He mentioned he had some kind of a drill bit that was about the size of a quarter round and that he could drill out holes in my bins. Brought it over, drilled them out and the bins look quite nice.

Thanks to all for all the input. I used two pieces of the red oak for my tri-tip tonight. Very nice!!!

Ciao,

exactly as the others say.... went to the local "Big Lots" and got some of those storage bins. Took a large 5/8 drill bit and went at it. Even on the top. Have been storing it that way for the past 2-3 years. I keep it in the garage, up off the ground. They cost like 2.50 each. 1 for hickory, 1 for oak, 1 for apple, 1 for cherry. Be nice to your local area farmers, as mine give me the peach trimmings each year for free. Good Luck

Back