Wood Grilled Salmon

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Got this "technique" from Cook'S Illustrated Summer Grilling.

Salmon fillets in a foil boat over a layer of soaked alder chips. Unseasoned asparagus for a side.

IMG_3286.jpg

Everything on.

IMG_3288.jpg

Everything off. The salmon took twice as long as the recipe called for (larger fillets and still getting use to lump) so the asparagus was overcooked...still good though.

IMG_3289.jpg

Plated. Salmon over a store bought "spring mix" salad, dressed with a store bought "spicy Thai" dressing.

IMG_3290.jpg

Not a huge fan of grilled fish and even less of a salmon fan but, I gotta say, this was pretty dag gone good.

Thanks for viewing!

That looks awesome. We love salmon, but never heard of this method. Will have to try it, since we're not big fans of the cedar planks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
That looks awesome. We love salmon, but never heard of this method. Will have to try it, since we're not big fans of the cedar planks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!! Poke a few holes in the foil. We cut slits with a knife. IMO, I think it needed more airflow, so holes would work better.

Don..., buddy..., if you're "Not a huge fan of grilled fish and even less of a salmon fan", why did you grill-up this awesome lookin' plate of beautiness??
Someone throw a fish your way?!
icon_biggrin.gif

I love grilled fish, ANY fish, anything grilled
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Don..., buddy..., if you're "Not a huge fan of grilled fish and even less of a salmon fan", why did you grill-up this awesome lookin' plate of beautiness?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good point...but as I've said many, many times on here, I'm usually just the monkey in front of the grill. My awesome wife is the true master behind these meals and this was her creation.

Great looking cook Don.

I too have trie this method from CI and it has become my favorite way to cook salmon!

Tom

Don,

Great looking stuff and what a great method. My wife is a salmon fanatic so I often prepare Cedar Plank Atlantic Salmon rubbed with William Sonoma's Potlatch seasoning which is truly awesome. I think I'm going to try this method next time.
I greatly appreciate you sharing your wife's brilliance and your grill skills.

Looks pretty tasty. What do you reckon would happen if instead of making individual foil boats, you punched some holes in the bottom of a half-sized aluminum hotel pan and laid out the chips and both the filets in that?

Wood chips underneath the fillets, that sounds like an excellent idea. I think I will give that a shot. Meal looks Fantastic!

Thanks everyone!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
maybe the screen color is off, but those look too red to be farmed. what did you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure if they were farm raised or not. I know that my wife got them from Whole Foods.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stewart M.:
What do you reckon would happen if instead of making individual foil boats, you punched some holes in the bottom of a half-sized aluminum hotel pan and laid out the chips and both the filets in that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't know why that wouldn't work. I did have to move the boats around a bit to rotate them over hot/cool spots, however.

Old Thread New Recipe for Me - Need Advice

I am going to grill salmon for my first time and thought this would be a good recipe to start with. Doesn't seem too difficult but I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with. I found the entire recipe for this cook in another thread and copied it below.

My first question is how do you know when it's done?

Second question is that the recipe states that you "slide metal spatula between skin and flesh of fish". Really? You can just take a spatula and basically divide the skin from the meat by just "sliding" it between the skin and the flesh? I'm feeling like this has crumbled meat written all over it. So how do you handle it after cooking in order to serve it?

I will be using my little 18" Weber grill and I'm thinking a chimney of lump fired up hot. Vents wide open going as high heat as it naturally gets. I plan on getting some Alder chips to do the cook however, I have some grape wood chips and if someone believes that will be okay, it will save me going to the store or getting some alder chips delivered.

Any input on this first cook is appreciated.

Thanks.

Recipe:

Here is the recipe from America's Test Kitchen

From the episode: Surefire Seafood

Aromatic woods such as cedar and alder give the most authentic flavor.

Serves 4.

Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 skin-on salmon fillets (each 6 to 8 ounces and 1 1/4 inches thick)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups wood chips , soaked for 15 minutes

Instructions
1. Combine sugar, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Pat salmon dry with paper towels. Brush flesh side of salmon with oil and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Following photos 1 and 2, use heavy-duty aluminum foil to make four 7- by 5-inch trays. Using tip of knife, perforate bottom of each tray. Divide wood chips among trays and place salmon skin-side down on top of wood chips.

2. Place trays with salmon over hot fire and grill, covered, until center of each fillet is still just translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove trays from grill. Following photo 3, slide metal spatula between skin and flesh of fish and transfer to platter. Serve.

Wow, beautiful looking salmon steaks, Don. I'm planning to plank some salmon today and was delighted to see your results.

And Jim Lampe! What a response straight out of M*A*S*H! ;)

Rich

Back