Wood for smoking

I'm from Arkansas......and I it is pronounced Arkansaw.
Wnen I was but a wee lad, my Dad was stationed at Fort Hood. We lived off base in the thriving metropolis of "Barling". My Step Brother was from Oklahoma and he pronouned it "R-Kansis".
icon_smile.gif

It's Puhconn for me

Ethan, I think you will be happy.

I tried my 2nd attempt at my sauce last night. I think I got really close. Tomato & vinegar based with some heat to it and a great Pecan flavor. It came out a little sweet for me, but I think it's just right for most. Going to try it on ribs this weekend and see how it turns out.

I grew up in Maine and pronounce it pee-can. The missus grew up in Arkansas( pronounced ar-kan-saw
icon_biggrin.gif
) and says it pe-cahn. Oh well. Tomato,to-mah-to.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:

I tried my 2nd attempt at my sauce last night. I think I got really close. Tomato & vinegar based with some heat to it and a great Pecan flavor. It came out a little sweet for me, but I think it's just right for most. Going to try it on ribs this weekend and see how it turns out.

Please report on how the sauce works out for you, it sounds good.

I went and gathered wood today. Got about 15 pieces that are each 3'-4' in length. The thinnest is probably two inches, while the thickest is 4-5 inches. Easily 10 bags worth of what they sell at the local firewood place for $9 each. I'm doing some roadside chicken tonight, then an overnight PP cook tomorrow with pecan.

Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Chuck,K is regular blue bag Kingsford! LOL It's either loved or hated. I use it regularly,and use it exclusively for overnighters!

That's what I though Phil but I didn't want to ask if everyone ment Kingsford and get smashed hahaha

Originally posted by Ethan G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:

Please report on how the sauce works out for you, it sounds good.

I went and gathered wood today. Got about 15 pieces that are each 3'-4' in length. The thinnest is probably two inches, while the thickest is 4-5 inches. Easily 10 bags worth of what they sell at the local firewood place for $9 each. I'm doing some roadside chicken tonight, then an overnight PP cook tomorrow with pecan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd the Pecan go?

Sauce came out great. Just needed to back off the black pepper a littie bit and up the Pecan syrup. I used half of it plus 1/4 cup of Pecan syrup for the glaze on my ribs, and it was great. I am going to make some changes and see if I can get it perfect.

Pics of the glaze here:
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/263104086

How'd the Pecan go?

[QUOTE}

I like it. I could smell my pork (specifically the pecan smoke) cooking on Monday morning a few houses down the street when I finished running. Got some great compliments on it from the Labor Day guests. I need to get my hands on a brisket for Saturday, to give the pecan wood a real test.

Your ribs look incredible!!!

RE: How long to season Smoke Wood

IMHO, it depends on the size of the rough stock wood - this determines how long it will take for the wood to dry-out enough to burn.

Logs should probably be quarter-split (split more if logs are BIG) while green and stacked for a few months.

Large Branches - I would split once, and give 2-3 months. If you get a bunch, split some and use those first - let the other stuff dry whole. The bark tends to seal-in moisture, so split wood generally dries more quickly.

Small Branches / Twigs - these are probably OK to use relatively green. A few minutes of sitting on top of / burried within lit coals, and they'll fire-dry enough to burn and lend smoke.

If you're going to stock-pile some, keep it somewhere where:
-It will get sun exposure (you don't want it in too much shade, where it will rot instead of dry)
-If it attracts rodents / snakes / assorted "little buddies", they won't become a nuisance.

A last point - depending on the part of the world that you're located in, you might want to be careful when digging-around in your wood pile. (I can imagine wasps, snakes, spiders, and other assorted critters that bite!)

Originally posted by Ron G.:
RE: How long to season Smoke Wood

A last point - depending on the part of the world that you're located in, you might want to be careful when digging-around in your wood pile. (I can imagine wasps, snakes, spiders, and other assorted critters that bite!)

AW come on Ron, Where's your sense of adventure?
2mpe5id.gif
icon_eek.gif

Has anyone ever used Olive wood? I have a good supply, but have never thought of using it for Smokewood.

Back