Wood for Slats

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
I have used several wood species for Genesis grill slats lately (and also recycled durawood of course), but tonight I recently bought a cache of POPLAR 1x2 for slats on my latest Weber Junior reno. Redhead on the black frame....

Has anyone done slats w POPLAR recently? And should I just "stain" it w natural and then go right to spar varnish or does it take any kind of colored stain you could recommend? Any tips or new tricks or thoughts?

Thanks. T Bone

Not sure whether poplar is going to be the same wood everywhere. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and what we call poplar there is pretty soft and open-grained - you’ll want to lay on the lacquer, because it’s going to end up being structural.

Its a soft wood, finished all sides. I thought I would give it a coating of stain sealer prep. Then stain w "Natural." Then I would put on 2 or 3 layers of spar varnish. Lee I don't understand the comment about it being structural? meaning things will be set upon it?

Poplar is definitely on the lower end of hardness compared to other so-called hardwood species. It is still harder than pine and should work well for your application. Post a picture of your stock so we can see what kind of grain it has. I think the grain, as well as the color of the wood helps decide whether you should stain it lighter or darker.

Poplar is usually a very light colored wood. I would put a stain on to darken it a bit.

Usually, if a woodworking project is meant to be painted, poplar is a common choice.
If a project is to be stained, you would use a different wood.
That’s not to say you couldn’t stain poplar, but I don’t think many people do that

Gerry

My comment was (slightly) tongue-in-cheek. Since poplar is so soft and porous, laying on multiple coats of lacquer will fill in the surface grain and form a shell that’s harder and stronger than the wood underneath.

Back