Wood for BRITU?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I called People's Wood looking for Cherry and Oak and they told me to expect a long delay before shipping. Does it matter if I use Hickery or Mesquite to create BRITU instead?

Thanks!

Craig

I've used Hickory in place of Oak all the times I've done BRITU and have been pleased with the results.

Me, personally, I cannot tell the any difference in flavor when using different types of wood.
-------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I tried the people store also, they also said 3 weeks delay..ended up getting it at BBQ's Galore. I am leaning toward Marks theory though..I have tried only two cooks, with mesquite chips, and the Britu recipe and didn't notice any differnce in flavor. I think they will turn out great with mesquite too.

Mesquite is most popular in Texas for beef. If you like it for ribs, use it in moderation-- too much can cause a bitter taste.

I'll chime in and side with Mark E on this one....I have trouble telling the differences between the different woods as well. For sure some are milder than others (and therefore, you can use more and not oversmoke -- pecan is a good example), and some are "heavier than others (mesquite for example.) All of these recipes come down to personal taste anyway, so if you can't find exactly what BRITU calls for, use what you have on hand, and adjust anything that you feel necessary the next time you do it.

I currently use whatever wood I have. Last month I was finishing up a bag of cherry and a bag of hickory. Those are gone, so I'll dip into some oak, almond and peach.

I figure if I had a palate that could distinguish the subtle differences in wood smoke tastes I'd be broke.....'cuz I'd be buying more expensive wine, too!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rich G.

I ordered from People's Woods some time ago...earlier this year and it took approx 4-5 weeks for the oak wood to show up. Two 10lb bags, nice uniformed fist sized chunks. Great wood, once it gets to you.

Another suggestion, I ordered cherry wood from the cookshack site; fast service, smaller chunks. I got my apple wood from an orchard about 10 miles north of my home; came in logs, had my neighbor cut it up in exchange for some "Q".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back