Wood for brisket smoke

Mike Felt

TVWBB Member
I will be attempting my first brisket next week. Looking for suggestions on smoke wood. I have seen pecan recommended, but I don't have access to that, short of mail order. Would hickory work? I have easy access to that. Thanks

What? Hickory for smoked beef? You're not serious?!?
icon_smile.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I usually use hickory. I have used pecan once recently and will again, but I think hickory is great for brisket.

Here's a couple of links to recommendations for wood and meats. They don't totally agree with each other, but what's new about that in the world of BBQ? I noticed one call mesquite "light flavor" and the other calls it "strong", for example. (I think it's strong, by the way.)

http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/flav.htm

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/wood.htm

I'm giving the wood pellets a try. That's a good way to try a lot of different woods at a little cost. They will send a bunch of samples good for a single smoke if you ask them too.

Loren

Mike,

It's good to experiment with some mixes. Apple is good with brisket, but if I want a more bold flavor I also hit the Hickory/Mesquite combo. Or mix apple with either of those to sweeten up some of their respective power. Just remember that Hickory and Mesquite can overpower some eaters so take that into consideration when your piling it on. I've never tried Pecan, I guess I'll have to break down and order some one of these days. Good luck, I'm sure it will taste great no matter what.

p.s. Cabelas sells 10 lb bags of chunks. They don't have everything but they may have something you have a hard time getting.

Pecan is my favorite for Brisket but others will do. I like to do a mix of woods also. You can do a 50/50 hickory/apple mix or hickory/cherry mix. Oak is good also but go easy with it. Oak and Hickory can get overpowering if you add too much of it. I also recommend the pellets that's pretty much all i use anymore.
icon_smile.gif

I did my first whole brisket with pecan & apple and there weren't leftovers.

I've tried mixing oak with other woods and hickory with other woods, but I found that the oak and hickory just overwhelm any other smokes. As does mesquite.

I didn't put enough smoke onto my brisket (6 lemon-sized pieces), but maybe I just like it smokey.

Have fun and report back!!!

When I do a brisket or a butt (when it is brisket it is usually both)I usually use at least 6 pieces of wood and maybe 2 pouches of jack daniels pellets. I don't think oak is that strong of a wood but I only use one or 2 pieces. I usually use 2 pieces of stronger wood like hickory, oak or mesquite. The rest I use a fruitwood. Usually a mix of cherry and apple which I have a good supply of.

Beef and mesquite were made for each other. There's something about that combo that just works for me. I use about 4 tennis ball sized pieces, as mesquite can take a brisket from right to ruined quickly. A lot of people seem to have problems with mesquite, not because it tastes bad but because it's easy to use too much. I like almond with beef too, but most folks don't have almond at their disposal. Around here we burn almond and oak in our fireplaces.

I'd really be bummed if I couldn't get my hands on hickory for BBQ! For me it's just the best all around smoke wood I use. Sure, I like to mix it up but when it comes down to it hickory is hard to beat.

Hickory is a GREAT all around wood...if your guests aren't to picky about smoke flavor. It's very rare but I've had some folks put off by the strong flavor of both mesquite and hickory.

I've had great success using cherry and apple together with brisket. It's not overpowering and it's a bit sweet without tasting like candy. YMMV.

-brian

Hey, Deep Throat likes BBQ!!!

Oh, wait, your name is Mike, not Mark. Oh well.

Lest I have an entirely useless post, I use hickory exclusively - mostly because I have very little access to anything except mesquite. For me, it is the perfect all around smoke wood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted June 07, 2005 04:32 PM

I've tried mixing oak with other woods and hickory with other woods, but I found that the oak and hickory just overwhelm any other smokes. As does mesquite.

I didn't put enough smoke onto my brisket (6 lemon-sized pieces), but maybe I just like it smokey. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly that's why i suggest mixing some apple or cherry with the Hickory or Oak if that's what you are using to knock it down somewhat till you find out what level of smoke flavor you like. Alot of people do not like a strong smoke flavor while some do, myself included. When first starting out it's best to err on the side of light smoke flavor till you find out what level you and your family / friends prefer. JMO

IMHO Pecan is the BEST all around smoke wood. I like it on everything, works well on brisket. If you can't get Pecan, Hickory is a good substitute but cut with some Oak if you can. Mesquite? I can't stand it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian L.:
IMHO Pecan is the BEST all around smoke wood. I like it on everything, works well on brisket. If you can't get Pecan, Hickory is a good substitute but cut with some Oak if you can. Mesquite? I can't stand it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And mine too. But some will not or don't want to order over the net and that's fine. Just remember that Pecan is just about the best all around wood you can have on hand. That said get the credit card out and just order some.
icon_biggrin.gif
and while your at it get some Apple and Cherry too for poultry.
icon_wink.gif

Back