Wood Conversion

Jake Smith

I have a genesis with the thermoset table. Is it possible to convert it to a wood table? Has anyone done this? If so how?

Possible?...sure. Practical or easy?...maybe not so much. Share a photo and/or additional model information on your grill to get the ball rolling and I’m sure the good folks here at tvwbb will chime in with lots of options and ideas.

I'd like to replace the table on the left with wood like a genesis 3000

Attachments

• 275242429_5145228262194078_2241174885496218234_n.png
    275242429_5145228262194078_2241174885496218234_n.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
I think it can be done. You would need two Z-bars for the flat table. I think I would try to re-use the hinge hardware on your current grill.

The latch mechanism and pivot on a Silver B ( your current grill) is in my opinion easier to use than the sliding style on an x000, and you already have the hardware. Often the hardware for the swing up table on the older Genesis x000's are rusted apart.

Another thought is to just clean up the thermoset. There are good suggestions for making it look almost like new. I have this on my to-do list but haven't gotten around to it. The rehabber's here will have the best advice so I'll defer to them.

I mention this as the lid handle will still be plastic as well as the end caps so your grill will be a mix of wood and plastic.

And, I like the plastic end trim on the silver. LH side works well as a handle to move the grill around and the RH side has tool holders on it as well as the dropped section holding the bar of the condiment tray.

good luck and share your progress on this.

The side table is easy. Either wood slats mounted in metal z-bars or use 2 slats perpendicular to the “deck”.

I don’t know how you would come up with an elegant wood solution for the flip up table.

You could just get an older grill with wood to make life easier

another thought if you decide to go with wood, is consider wider slats.

One of the local rehabber's in my area often has a grill using wide slats and I think they look fantastic.

This pic is an example of one currently listed on FBM.

1647386482946.png

If the distance from the frame leg to the handle is the same as a 1000, it would probably be a simple swap out.

Those wide slats are actually what Weber initially used for the first year or so before opting for the narrow ones.

B773AE1E-EE08-4A53-817C-C86C767AF551.jpeg

I agree the top table is no problem, although you may have a bolt head used on the Silver’s frame extension to work around. The fold-up table would probably take more work if you want to adapt to the Silver’s swing up hinge. I think it can be done. If you go for it please post up some pictures of the process.

You could also swap out your lid end caps with a Genesis 1000-5000 if you wanted to do an old style wood handle.

Back