Wood chunks on fire!

As far as I can see, you like to bring your bacon to temps over 170F.
I think that must because you want to kill listeria, e-coli and possibly trichinella sprialis. Very understandable.

Here where I live, i do not need to care about these things. I'm not trying to boast, beeing cocky or anything, but I can safely eat my bacon cooked at far lower temperatures without beeing afraid of any of these bacterias. Every single pig sold as food here in Norway is tested for trichinella sprialis, and outbreaks of the bacterias mentioned are very few, and years between any small outbreak.

Cold smoked bacon is different from hot smoked bacon. If I had to choose, I'd say "Yes please". It's still bacon, only a different flavor.

I hear ya and know exactly where you are coming from. There is a marked difference in salami, fermented and aged here in the states vs Europe because of these exact fears/regulations.
I try to smoke my bacon to about 145 internal knowing that it will be cooked anyway.
I actually recently spoke to a manufacturer of starter cultures that won't produce acid and lower pH but rather offer bio protection and some will reduce nitrate to nitrite and produce flavor and aroma compounds....interesting stuff if you're into dry cured meats!
I digress as Chris states!
Thanks for everyone's help with my chunks on fire!

Back