Wood chunk types

Jim Baker

TVWBB Super Fan
Being a new WSM owner, I would like some ideas on what type of wood chunks go best with what type of meat/poultry?

You cant go wrong with hickory its a good all around wood. i like mesquite or hickory for poultry. and apple is good for pork. cherry is good for beef

cheers

I generally use 2 parts cherry and 1 part hickory for chicken and pork. For beef I use 1 part oak and 1 part cherry.

A lot of it depends on your individual preferance and what you have available. For instance I use a lot of cherry mainly because I can get rough sawn, kiln dried mill scraps for free.

Check this out http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#choosing and then try a few combinations to see what you like.

-Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS Moore:
I generally use 2 parts cherry and 1 part hickory for chicken and pork. For beef I use 1 part oak and 1 part cherry.

A lot of it depends on your individual preferance and what you have available. For instance I use a lot of cherry mainly because I can get rough sawn, kiln dried mill scraps for free.

Check this out http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#choosing and then try a few combinations to see what you like.

-Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dave....didn't look hard enough I guess!!

Does it matter why type of oak?

I usually use apple, cherry, and maybe hickory. But I'm almost swimming in oak from my yard and my workshop downstairs. I have red oak and white oak. Does it matter which I use?

Thanks!

I like them all.
icon_wink.gif

I usually always use 3 kinds of wood on any smoke. On big cuts like butt and brisket I use 3 pcs of strong wood like oak or hickory and the rest is usually cherry. I use 6 chunks on every smoke. I am still gunshy on hickory. I oversmoked some ribs about 4 years ago with hickory.

On small cuts of pork like ribs and loin I go a bit sweeter. I throw on a couple pieces of oak a couple of cherry and some grapevine. Jack Daniels pellets is also good on this combo. Sometimes apple. It depends a lot on what I have and what is cut up at the time.

I like mesquite on the big cuts like brisket and butts. Mesquite is good on potatoes. I like mesquite but I don't like to buy smokewood, so I don't use it very often. I have a job that gets me a good supply of wood. I get cherry, oak, and hickory on a regular basis. We have lots of wild cherry and oaks around here so that is my staple. I use mesquite chips on the grill just about anytime I use it. It goes well on hamburgers. I bought apple chips last year for grilling. If anyone out there gets "gout" don't use very much apple chips on something you are grilling. The only flare up I had last year is after cooking some burgers and laying on some apple smoke. It was a bad one.

I like to try out new woods. I like maple on pork but I am currently out of maple. I have some beech drying out that I want to try out. It is just about ready I may get a chance to use it this weekend.

I like apricot for pork. Nothing else on the meat. Apricot smoke seasons it just perfect for me. I also recently tried out a couple chunks of birch from the yard. It seemed to go quite well with teriyaki marinated chicken. Very sweet smoke, almost sickly sweet at times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrel Mc:
I also recently tried out a couple chunks of birch from the yard... Very sweet smoke, almost sickly sweet at times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darrel, other than me you are the first person I recall admitting to using birch. I really like it too. I think it has a beautiful smell, and I put it in my kettle when cooking just about anything.

I've heard of people using corn cobs. Anyone have any experience with this? Out here in Sandy Eggo it seems that it is hard to find much more than palm trees and pine trees. Luckily my parents live in a city named Cherry Valley, next time I go visit I will have to stock up. They grow Cherries, Apples, Peaches, Pecans, Walnuts, and Almonds in Cherry Valley and surrounds. I did see them selling Almond Fire Wood at Whole Foods the other day for 7 dollars a box. Looked like maybe a half bushel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrel Mc:
I also recently tried out a couple chunks of birch from the yard... Very sweet smoke, almost sickly sweet at times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darrel, other than me you are the first person I recall admitting to using birch. I really like it too. I think it has a beautiful smell, and I put it in my kettle when cooking just about anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i used birch on a couple of my cooks.. its some good smoke..i really like it..but can't get it around here.. Mahalos again Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
Darrel, other than me you are the first person I recall admitting to using birch. I really like it too. I think it has a beautiful smell, and I put it in my kettle when cooking just about anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I figured that since the Alders are so closely related to the Birches(same Family, different Genus.) and alder wood is a fairly popular smoking wood that birch would be a workable wood for some decent smoke flavor. Turned out to be a good bet.

Back