wood burning pits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have pointers to plans for wood-burning pits? I too am interested in learning how to weld once school is over this December.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed Jones:
Anyone have pointers to plans for wood-burning pits? I too am interested in learning how to weld once school is over this December. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, before you start construction, try to look at some of the commercially built pits: Klose, Gator, Bates, Lang, etc, to get a good idea of design.

Just hanging a firebox on one end of a pipe won't necessarily make a decent pit. It takes a lot of time and material to make a lousy pit. It won't take much more to make a good pit. Have a definite plan before you start.

I've seen quite a few pits built by local welders who know how to weld, but don't know jack about a pit. My friend has an expensive 36"x 6' offset, built by a local welder. He can't use the first two feet of the horizontal, even for chicken (crisp skin).

There is method to the madness in good pit design.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Howard Barlow:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed Jones:
Anyone have pointers to plans for wood-burning pits? I too am interested in learning how to weld once school is over this December. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen quite a few pits built by local welders who know how to weld, but don't know jack about a pit. My friend has an expensive 36"x 6' offset, built by a local welder. He can't use the first two feet of the horizontal, even for chicken (crisp skin).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Howard, You make excellent points.
icon_wink.gif
Baffles it's all about getting them in the right place. You have to block the high heat but not restrict the air/smoke flow. It's a lot of trial and error. Bryan

Howard, that Klose pit of yours is a bit on the large side, you must have alot of hungry friends that visit!
I am seriously looking at importing a klose pit and have been intouch with him about prices, sizes, etc. The only thing is that there is just so much to choose from I don't think I could buy one without seeing it first.

Would you recommend a Klose pit Howard?

Rick, your pig cooker looks great, can you tell me how do you turn the pig over during the cook?

Lee, keep in mind that if you get a stick burner you can kiss your overnight cooks goodnight!

My friend has a 36" Klose pit he is looking to sell for $800. It is in excellent shape and looks AWESOME and all that stuff. However, I asked him how his overnight cooks go and he said he adds a stick or 2 EVERY HOUR!!! So when I go to bed at midnight, he is up at 1am, 2am, 3am,4am,5am and so on...mees is still sleeping!

Don't get me wrong, if I can find a way to get $800.00 I WILL buy that pit, but the big hold up for me would be the overnights. And I don't like getting up at 4am to start a pork butt or a brisket to eat that day, ya know!!

Yep, it's big. On the other hand, I wonder how long it takes to to cook 50 briskets or 100 racks o' ribs on a wsm?

I'm starting a catering biz so I over-bought to start with. Consider what your needs are, then make your decision. Every one says they determine they need the next size up after they buy, so factor that in, even if it's only for your friends and family.

Offsets do take extra effort, to be sure. You gotta feed the fire every hour or so.

Klose is the best in fit and finish, in my opinion. Gator makes an excellent pit, as well.

Lee - don't know if this is of interest
http://www.thebbq.co.uk/special_offers/
I saw something like this in a pub car park - the Charlton Arms by Ludford bridge (Leominster side) in Ludlow (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32062/) which sort of got me interested in the whole BBQ thing. You never know they may want to sell it - ring and give them a silly cash offer it - was probably a past landlord's indulgence, it looked like it was being neglected. Might give you a smaller scale intro to wood burning (or may be a complete non-starter!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back