Woo-hoo...first tri-tip on the WSM

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Charcoal is starting, a nice untrimmed tri-tip is rubbed and ready to go, a quart (40 oz) of beer in one hand...life is good! I've got some buddies coming over tonight, and this will be the first time i've done a tri tip on the WSM. Using oak wood, shooting for 350. Hopefully everything goes well!

I recently did 3 tri-tips on the WSM using the top rack when I had ribs on bottom for about 4 hours or so.
Cooked them at 250 or so, and have to say I MUCH preferred the ones cooked on my Silver B Gasser. They did come off a nice mid-rare all the way through but the smoke was way too strong; came off tasting more like bacon than anything else. Just did one on my One Touch Gold charcoal. Full chimney of Kingsford (with a few chunks of hickory mixed in) on one side of grill, 5 minutes a side over coals then pulled to indirect till done. Best tri-tip I have made (out of about 30+ total all on gasser). Nice bit of smoke flavor but still didn't over-power the beefiness. Eaten with some grilled Vidalia and jalapenos. Mmmmmm....
Jamie

Well we ate the tri-tip, and it was awesome. I will have to say, even, that it trumped mr. brown. Cooked it at about 350 for 20 mins on both sides, using the rub specified in Chris' recipe. I think it was the best beef I've ever eaten.

Jamieson, have you tried the tri tip rub here on the VWB? It's simple, but it's awesome. If you like doing tips, try it on your next one. You won't be dissapointed.

The rub I generally use is just kosher salt and black pepper, but sometimes I like to use a BBQ rub or Motreal Steak Seasoning or something along those lines. Last night I used a light dusting of Bone Smokers rub after I rubbed the tri-tip with olive oil. Turned out so good
icon_smile.gif

Only issue is that to get tri-tips I have to buy large cryovac packs at CostCo, so it costs about $100 and I end up with about 20lbs, but I am not complaining
icon_smile.gif

Jamie

It's amazing more people don't know about tri tip. Here in Springfield MO, a store called Harter House has the best meat department and they know their tri tips. They season the entire roast in Santa Maria seasoning. Fat side down for 15 minutes then flip it till so it's on top. Cook to 335 degrees. Perfection. We also grill a lot of sweet peppers, so I'll have to try those on my WSM.

Originally posted by Phil R.:
Cooked it at about 350 for 20 mins on both sides, using the rub specified in Chris' recipe. QUOTE]

20 mins on both sides? Thats it? I was looking to do my first Tri Tip on Saturday...any tips/suggestions? Dont have time for a lengthly smoke, so a Tri Tip sounds good...and quick.

Phil,

Great to hear that it was a big hit. Our Costco has double tri-tips and reasonably priced, so I cook them quite frequently.

Haven't shot them with oak, so I think you've motivated me to try that next!

Brad,

I highly suggest you use the recipe here on TVWB. It's in the "cooking" tab up top, and you'll find it under the beef section.

Only thing I did differently was leave out the parsley from the rub (didn't feel it was necessary, as it was such a small amount) and added a little more pepper all around after rubbing. And yeah, only 20-25 mins per side (at 350 of course). I also didn't really wait for the smoke wood to burn down...I put my meat on when the smoker was at about 450-475 (meat brings the temp down to 350 quickly). At my grocery store, you can get 2 types, Santa Maria (untrimmed, with lots of fat) and regular ol' tri tip, which has been trimmed of pretty much all the fat. I used the santa maria cut, and trimmed quite a bit of fat (but left 1/4" fat cap on).

I said it before, and I'll say it again: It was absolutely delicious, some of the best beef I've had.

Back