WNY Local ANCHO chile source found!

Sandee McKinivan

TVWBB Member
icon_biggrin.gif
After several hours on my motorcycle searching the Buffalo Hispanic community - SUCCESS!

I finally found a produce company that not only stocks dried ancho chile peppers, but also sells them for HALF the Penzey price! Only $8 per pound.

Guercio Produce on Grant St. near Lafayette.

It figures: I just ordered a pound online...
icon_frown.gif

I found a place in Toronto in Kensington Market that sells a bunch of dried chilis as well as them in powder form. I find trying to make my own powder is a giant PITA!

Actually I just got lucky as my parent came home from wintering in mexico and I now have about a 3 yr supply of chilli's. Everything from Ancho and Chiptole to Arabol, Mirasol and even Piquin!!
They even grabbed a container of this stuff just called "hot salt" that's a blend of chillis and sea salt.

Sometimes the BBQ god's shine upon us.

Scooter, you are a lucky dog to score all those chiles!
icon_wink.gif

I haven't tried to grind any anchos yet. How is ginding fresh a PITA? All the honchos here say that fresh ground is the way to go.

I guess the problem with trying to grind your own is that most "dried" chili's really aren't that dry. I can grind them but I'm more likely to get flakes then a powder.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm a huge FRESH guy. But when it comes to wanting to throw a batch of rub together I like the ease of just having the bags of powder.

If you are ever up in Toronto area, the Kensington Market district is a great place to wander around.

Oh my gosh-I haven't been on Grant Street since my college days. I do remember all of neat little shops on the street though, so a trip to that area of the city is in order this weekend.

Grinding your own isn't as easy as buying pre-ground but can be quite a bit cheaper. Pull the stem out, shake out the seeds (not too carefully), heat in a skillet, throw in the blender. If that's not fine enough a coffee grinder will do the job.

Since I discovered Pendery's in Ft Worth, I have not bothered with grinding my own.THey have about a million varieties of both chili powders, and powdered chiles. They also have a HUGE selection of dried chile's including several very rare Oaxacan varieties like Pasilla De Oaxaca (smoked pasilla) , and Chilhuacle Negro (black chiles for mole negro) Chilhuacle Rojo and Amarillo. Not to metion aji, and GREAT Chipotle Mecco. Check em out!

Back