Wire cup brush on end caps?

AntPadovano

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I know to use a angle grinder with the wire cup brush on the outside of the firebox. But do I also use that on the end caps for the hood? Or should I just sand those before I spray paint them.

Thanks,

I’ll let a more experienced member go into more detail, but I’ll say that painting over a splotchy exterior leaves a messy look. Better to grind the whole thing down to clean metal.

Yea I figured I would have to get it to the bare metal somehow. I see people use the wire brush on the firebox. They’re the same pretty much so it should be fine on the end caps right ?

That’s the way to go, clean it to bare metal completely. I have to re finish my end caps, I spot sanded and I just don’t like the finish quality. Wife’s son is going to do his too so, we might see about getting a price on having three sets sandblasted, that way the working grills will be all set and the blue hood can be ready for the next rebuild!

Yes, if there are any chips or peeling or flaking in the original finish, you need to strip them down. Otherwise, they will continue to peel under the new paint.

Kyle, that is a great point. I hate to see when people try to strip the end caps while they are still on the lid. Even painting them while still attached is not advised.

4" wire cup brush

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010-195609_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010-195609_Chrome.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 14

Back