Winter grillers

Usually winter grilling is not too much an issue with the WSK and running outside on the deck down to about -20C is usually OK, but it's going down to -37C this week, so no frick'n way...we been babied by such a mild winter so far, that the -30s we are seeing this week we have not had time to acclimate to like normal...blood is way too thin still for this!
-20C… I’m sure it’s nice where you are but grilling year round in Costa Rica like in Richard Garcia pics in post #4 is sounding a bit better to me.

-20C… I’m sure it’s nice where you are but grilling year round in Costa Rica like in Richard Garcia pics in post #4 is sounding a bit better to me.
Mike; our Winter Season down here is called the “Green Season” in which there are heavy Thunderstorms producing a lot of rain. I live near the capital of San Jose and our “Green Season” begins around April thru November. The “Green Season has not affected my BBQ Sessions as I have a large carport and the temperature stays around a confortable 25C. The posted photos are of this moment showing a blue sky :)

Attachments

• F5FF620C-1D05-4363-961D-9E4A8C0F729E.jpeg
    F5FF620C-1D05-4363-961D-9E4A8C0F729E.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 6F1CE602-5D69-499A-AD70-B2D9C1A1206A.jpeg
    6F1CE602-5D69-499A-AD70-B2D9C1A1206A.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Mike; our Winter Season down here is called the “Green Season” in which there are heavy Thunderstorms producing a lot of rain. I live near the capital of San Jose and our “Green Season” begins around April thru November. The “Green Season has not affected my BBQ Sessions as I have a large carport and the temperature stays around a confortable 25C. The posted photos are of this moment showing a blue sky :)
25C for grilling in winter sounds pretty good to me.

The wind is definitely our main enemy!
Yeah. Northwest Ohio we can get windy days blowing 40 miles per hour with gusts even higher.... Winter, spring, summer and fall!
This the problem living around a bunch of cornfields.

I tend to do two things to combat this, shield my grills and smoker with other items, and especially with the wsm selectively open my bottom vents. On the kettles having the ash catcher did wonders after my original gave up the ghost. Still, during the winter I ignite more fuel at the start and run the vents wider open. Just a natural part of the process, and I don't let it get me down.

Just got done clearing about 10" of snow, and put some Costco marinated skirt steak on my Genesis Silver B for tacos tonight. Now I'm hunkering down until the snow stops midday tomorrow. We should have another 4"-8" of snow overnight.

Just got done clearing about 10" of snow, and put some Costco marinated skirt steak on my Genesis Silver B for tacos tonight. Now I'm hunkering down until the snow stops midday tomorrow. We should have another 4"-8" of snow overnight.

View attachment 85073

Hang in there bud. We got snow and rain here. Melt off tomorrow followed by turning back to snow and ice with a deep plunge in temps for Sunday and monday.

View attachment 85073
Looks like just another 4" or so since I covered the grill last night.
1000003379.jpg

Total of over 14" next to the Ducane:
1000003376.jpg

We're much colder here, -5 right now, was 10 this morning, and still forecast to get down to -13 tonight. I blew about 3" of dry fluff this morning, no trouble moving it at all. You folks in MKW and KZO are getting a lot more than I am.

Cooked a marinated flank steak of about 1.8 lbs tonight on the MasterTouch. Turned out good, sliced into salads.
PXL_20240114_005313333.jpg

Won't say it was 'nice' but not terrible; in the teens with almost no wind.

Insulated cup of Jameson and fresh lime helped a lot.
PXL_20240114_004800396.jpg

That looks rather enjoyable.

May I politely suggest a cocktail with Jameson Orange in a nice ginger beer......

I usually do regular Jameson with 1/2 lime of juice and ginger beer. Will try it with the Orange next time. Didn't want to make it any colder tonight, :) .

And even Soda Water - not Tonic or Club - is pretty good if you don't want the extra calories/sugar. Blue 'justbubly' cans are my current go-to.

50F and foggy. Sounds like spring for some.

Great NFL game with Detroit on top.

Let's grill some flank steak for fajitas.

20240114_185212.jpg
20240114_192121.jpg20240114_192709.jpg

Grates has some sumthin sumthin that lit up. I guess I'll burn off the grates mid cook

20240114_193413.jpg
One of the kids was hungry and snagged some before I could take a pic.
20240114_194946.jpg

I usually do regular Jameson with 1/2 lime of juice and ginger beer. Will try it with the Orange next time. Didn't want to make it any colder tonight, :) .

And even Soda Water - not Tonic or Club - is pretty good if you don't want the extra calories/sugar. Blue 'justbubly' cans are my current go-to.
Our favorite down here in Costa Rica with club soda,Irish Coffee.

Attachments

• DE3D4FE8-D5C5-4934-83B8-FEF069C93D94.jpeg
    DE3D4FE8-D5C5-4934-83B8-FEF069C93D94.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 3
More so this year as it as been very mild. Temps around freezing yesterday in Southern Ontario.

Positioned the kettle to be protected from high winds.

weber1.jpg

Back