Winter and Your Smoker Outside.

Nick DeNora

Guys,
I'm up here in Buffalo, NY and my smoker sits outside, as some of you may know Buffalo gets a bit of snow, well in the past it did, now alot more like freezing rain or hail, for those that don't know where we are, were like 90 mins. south of Toronto ON, right on the U.S. Canada border.
Is it safe to keep the smoker out during the winter? Of course I have the cover and this will be my first winter with it.
I welcome all suggestions, especially those from parts where the weather gets "wintery" haha...
thanks, Nick

im in michigan and mine has been outside for 7 years now. I just keep a plastic garbage bag on under the factory cover. she stays nice and cozy that way
icon_cool.gif

I live in Southern California where winter is something that people who don't live here have to deal with. So I have nothing to contribute as far as your question goes. Just wanted to post something to make all you cold-climate folks a little jealous. HAHAHA!! - just messin with ya. I think as long as you keep a good cover on your WSM and keep it away from the rain and snow you should be fine. And as far as winter goes, I live in SoCal now but I was born and raised in Philly - so I feel your pain when it comes to the cold. Good smoke.

Outside is the best place to use it.

You'll have no problems as long as you cover it and can get the top off.

Enjoy!

Ron

Hi Nick, My suggestion is to put a kitchen hood fan in the garage that has a vent out and set it up there in the winter. Just think, no heat shields, covers etc. Sounds like it would be fun too.

You did say "I welcome all suggestions" right?
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Nick,
I have so many WSMs some of the need to be stored outside.
Of course, I cook year round so they do get used quite a bit. No problem with them outside, just keep them covered up.
The last few winters have been brutal here as far as snow goes, and cold for that matter. As long as the WSMs get used now and then, they don't complain.

The major problem with grilling in the winter around here is managing to get TO the grill.
Ambient temps just make the cook uncomfortable, no real affect on the food. I'd rather have the cold weather than the accursed mosquitoes.

Gotta' look at the Positive Side:

Deep Snow-Drifts, when properly sculpted away from your WSM, make excellent wind-breaks.

As long as your fuel is dry and it's not snowing like crazy - the WSM works great. Mine stays outside with the Weber Cover that came with it:

-Dig it out
-Fire it up
-Toss-on some meat
-Wait (no peeking)
-Enjoy!

Same as summer, except for the first step!

Shaun - I LIKE your thinking here. May have to do this and just tie in the exhaust to one of the vents already going out the top of the garage.

Back