Winner: TVWB News Prize Drawing for September 2021

Chris, how come you don't have people enter that want the cookbook, like they did for the smoker? Have you heard from the winner yet. Has he been around here lately?

These are random give aways Joan, note his last line in the above post.

”Already a subscriber? You’re automatically entered in our drawings”

Yes Timothy, I know that. I just want to know when he does it that way, how many people are involved. EVERY subscriber from day 1? Chris said he used to "clean house" once in awhile, but he doesn't do it anymore. So. there could be a heck of a lot of subscribers that haven't been around here in a long time. That is why I think just people that want the cookbook should be involved in the drawing, just like those that wanted the smoker. Doing it that way, I think will still attract NEW subscribers to the site. I, myself have the book and many others and enjoy them all.

Not arguing Joan, it’s up to Chris. If someone that posts once a decade wins, good for them if it’s someone that posts every day, they might make a public thank you, somethings are just up to the winner and Chris.
should the winner not respond then that too is up to the boss.
I like the fact that’s it’s clearly an open field giveaway.

Joan,

I don't monitor every discussion thread on the forum, so don't assume I have seen your reply in this thread or any other. I'm not intentionally ignoring you, I'm just not seeing your reply. If you REALLY want to reach me, send me a private message by clicking my avatar pic and "Start Conversation."

TVWB News is my monthly email newsletter where I tell people what new content I've added to virtualweberbullet.com and what hot topics are being discussed on tvwbb.com. There are over 6,000 subscribers. The newsletter started in September 2000, so there are some long-term subscribers on the list. People subscribe by using a link that pops up on virtualweberbullet.com and by using the link I include at the top of these posts. People also have an option to subscribe when they enter prize drawings like the recent one for the Glen Blue Bullet.

People do unsubscribe from time to time. They also get dropped from the list after several unsuccessful attempts to send the newsletter to them. Sometime in 2020, I also deleted over 3,000 inactive emails for people who had not opened the newsletter email in the past 12 months. So the size of the list goes up and down over time.

The thing to understand is that not all newsletter subscribers are members of this forum. Many are readers of virtualweberbullet.com and never visit tvwbb.com. The monthly prizes I give away to newsletter subscribers are simply a way to incentivize people to subscribe and stay subscribed. It's easier for me to just pick a subscriber at random than to administer an actual prize drawing where people submit entries, especially when it's something I do every month. I also feel like it doesn't make sense to conduct a full-blown submit-entry prize drawing for a single item worth less than $20, while it does make sense for a $1000 Weber pellet grill or a one-of-a-kind custom Glen Blue smoker.

By the time I post the name of the winner in a thread like this one, I have already contacted the winner, gotten their mailing address, and dropped their prize in the mail. It's usually a cookbook, but not always. In this instance, when Jeff learned he had won this cookbook, he replied by email, "Awesome, Thanks Chris! Keep up the good work!" It's not been my habit to share how winners react to winning these prizes. If they happen to be a forum member, sometimes they post a reply to a thread like this one.

Hope this helps explain how the newsletter prize drawing works.

Last edited:

Back