Wingz. That simple

Simple and easy. Sometimes life’s really good that way. A piece of Ghirardelli mint dark chocolate for dessert. Bring on some football 🏈!

Did you eat them all in one sitting? They look great!
Nah. Some for dinner that evening and a few during the Niners game yesterday. Maybe have around 8-10 pieces leftover. This was for 3 people. My daughter elected not to partake though, so just the wife and me.

I was just wondering how many wings would fit on the Summit Charcoal. Do you recall how many pounds that was?
This was 4/6 of the Costco fresh wings party pack. I counted around 50 wing splits. This pack was around $25. Wings are usually $3.49# from Costco for these. So, the whole pack was around 7.16# and I could have fit the whole pack (all 6 pouches) using the center cook/heat model as shown. This cook was around 4.75# as shown. Hope this helps.

Perfect, thanks! We buy the same packs and I could only get 4/6 on the 22" kettle with the Vortex. I see you used the baskets. Do you prefer them over the Vortex for this wing setup, or just never bought a Vortex?

Perfect, thanks! We buy the same packs and I could only get 4/6 on the 22" kettle with the Vortex. I see you used the baskets. Do you prefer them over the Vortex for this wing setup, or just never bought a Vortex?
Great question. I own a vortex and used it 1x. I didn’t see much of a difference using the vortex or just the CBs. I’m running JDXL and I only had around 50-60% of a full size Weber chimney when lighting it. I still have leftover JD, as usual, as JD burns very hot and clean, thus I get the crisp I like, without a vortex.

One data point though, right before I take the wings off the grill, I move them in small batches to direct sear over the JD coals. This just gives that final kiss before removing them to their bathing bowl for saucing.

I just like how the chicken fat hits the coals and atomizes, giving that essence of coal as a final flavor to the wings. Esoteric method here but tried and true after many years of coal and gas cooking.

Under the wings on the coal grate is heavy duty aluminum foil to make cleanups easier and it keeps the S6 clean and free of excess chicken grease.

Last edited:

Back