Wings with the Vortex

What makes the Vortex so great with wings is that it turns your kettle into basically a high heat convection oven with the added bonus of smoke. You have the super heat source that is in close proximity to the lid. The lid reflects/circulates the heat and smoke around the wings and cooks them indirectly. If you have any doubt how hot you can get it, try touching the handle of the kettle with a medium Vortex filled with fully engaged KBB using a bare hand. The distance from the lid of a WSM 22 and the heat source will basically negate the advantages of the the Vortex. It would be the same as not using one at all and no way you could get it as hot. The combination of the high heat and indirect cooking is what gives you the crispy skin without burning and allows you to cook them to doneness. If you don't have a kettle already (which is heresy IMHO), new ones are pretty reasonable or you can hit Craigslist for a used one for not much more than the price of the Vortex (go for around $50 for the One touch and $35 for the basic model all day long).

Thanks JPowers, perfect answer.

I do have a small Smoky Joe..Would that work. I can always cut out a small dog bowl for my Votex?
Thanks Dan

Smoky Joe should do fine. Many people make their own. Just make sure the opening is very close to the grate. My grate actually rests on the edge of the Vortex on my kettle, but it's not enough to make it unstable.

Would the medium votex work on a 22" WSM?
Thanks Dan

Hi Dan,
I bought the medium size Vortex and it is perfect for the 22" kettle. I fired it up last night to burn off any residue and WOW does it get hot!!!! I am going to make some wings this weekend, hopefully and I am looking forward to searing a steak over that inferno too!

Back