Wings and thighs with the vortex

Sounds like the plan for Super Bowl Sunday. Wings, thighs and legs, and adult beverages and stogies.

Any tips on vortex wings?
I rinsed and patted them dry then seasoned. Left the bottom wide open and the top with the 3 little holes wide open. Was running in the 400-450 range for about 35-40 minutes then sauced and back on for a couple minutes. You dont need to flip them or anything just wait till the skin crisps up. Just set up the vortex in the middle like in the pics and it makes it like a convection oven.

I rinsed and patted them dry then seasoned. Left the bottom wide open and the top with the 3 little holes wide open. Was running in the 400-450 range for about 35-40 minutes then sauced and back on for a couple minutes. You dont need to flip them or anything just wait till the skin crisps up. Just set up the vortex in the middle like in the pics and it makes it like a convection oven.
Brian,
Preston's instruction are great, I do a lot of the same.
I...
Pat the wings dry, let them sit for about 10 mins and then add dry rub, then right before I put them on I add a little more dry rub and add a light spray of EVOO. I use my hottest charcoal, put a little base of unlit charcoal in the bottom of the vortex and then a whole chimney of lit on top. I always cover the outside of he kettle with foil, while expect for that one time and its a mess! On the Master Touch I leave the top and bottom vents completely open and I don't even worry about temps, its all about the movement of air! I don't touch anything for the first 30 mins (some people do a quarter turn of the lid every 10 mins for even air flow, but I don't). At 30 mins I fip and check. Some peoples are done at 30, it has always been minimal 40 mins but closer to 50 mins to an hour for me. Now after half an hour I start checking more often. When they are close to being done, I dunk half in the sauce of choice and back on. I leave the other half "dry". I pull them when the skin gets that great color and I eat as soon as they won't burn my mouth.
Those 3 lbs are in the frig defrosting to be cooked and ready to eat before the Arsenal vs Manchester United game starts at my 12:30 on Saturday!

Brian,
Preston's instruction are great, I do a lot of the same.
I...
Pat the wings dry, let them sit for about 10 mins and then add dry rub, then right before I put them on I add a little more dry rub and add a light spray of EVOO. I use my hottest charcoal, put a little base of unlit charcoal in the bottom of the vortex and then a whole chimney of lit on top. I always cover the outside of he kettle with foil, while expect for that one time and its a mess! On the Master Touch I leave the top and bottom vents completely open and I don't even worry about temps, its all about the movement of air! I don't touch anything for the first 30 mins (some people do a quarter turn of the lid every 10 mins for even air flow, but I don't). At 30 mins I fip and check. Some peoples are done at 30, it has always been minimal 40 mins but closer to 50 mins to an hour for me. Now after half an hour I start checking more often. When they are close to being done, I dunk half in the sauce of choice and back on. I leave the other half "dry". I pull them when the skin gets that great color and I eat as soon as they won't burn my mouth.
Those 3 lbs are in the frig defrosting to be cooked and ready to eat before the Arsenal vs Manchester United game starts at my 12:30 on Saturday!

Oh, if you have the standard Weber GBS grate, take out the middle piece so you don't destroy it with that much heat for that much time, if you have SS grates no worries.

My vortex arrived this week, I’m amped to give it a trial run on Saturday. We’re playing with some sauce recipes to toss them in, I just have to push through one more work day.

My vortex arrived this week, I’m amped to give it a trial run on Saturday. We’re playing with some sauce recipes to toss them in, I just have to push through one more work day.
I know I just said the same thing to my daughter (my coking buddy) one more day and let's get cooking outside!

Happy Friday then!! I’ve got a few AM chores, then I’m going to try and warm up this town with the vortex.
Happy Friday to you too. I am working on a pork shoulder right now, will light the coals in an hour and let it go over night. Wing for lunch, Arsenal vs Manchester United, and pulled pork for dinner, I going to love Saturday!

Back