Wine Oak Smoked Tri-tip

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I love my WSM since I got it last year. On Father's Day, I decided to use my ol' offset smoker that I have had for years. I bought this about 8yrs ago at Wal-Mart for around $80. It got me into smoking. This smoker only works in the sumemr time for me. It does not retain heat very well. It is good for smoking anything under 5 hrs. The WSM works great for longer smokes. But this smoker sure can give you a killer smoke ring. Tri-tip usually takes 3-4 hrs, this one took just under 3hrs. I wrap in foil for the last 1/2 hr, and then let it rest for another 1/2hr. It sure tasted good. 1st time using Cabernet oak chips. Here is the link.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AZMnDhk1ZMXvQ

I love tri-tip and am amazed at the smoke ring on that one. I've had the WSM for less than a week and think the tri-tip may come up for July 4th maybe (Pulled pork this weekend.)

Nice ring, very impressive! I tried a Tri-tip in my new WSM and wasn't that impressed the PICTURES look good (not as nice of a ring as yours), perfectly med-rare if that's your thing, but it didn't taste as good as the ones I do on the kettles.

Anyway, nice looking tri-tip.

Ciao,

Wow! I've been cooking tri tip for about a year now and can't even get my smoke ring that close. Then again, I usually cook it on the WSM at around 350 or so.

Now that I have found a buthcer shop that will cut a tri tip for me it's my favorite thing to cook on the WSM. Mine usually finish under three hours then I foil and rest them for about a hour. Very tasty.

Try the photo link again, it should be working now. Larry, your tri-tip looks good to me. When I first got my WSM, the 1st meat I smoked was tri-tip. I tried two times, didn't really care for the results. I use my WSM a lot for turkey, brisket, and pulled pork. The WSM is a great overnight smoker. This little offset smoker does really well for tri-tip and baby back ribs. It is nice to have several smokers around. Thanks for you kind comments.

Michael, trust me, it looked much better than it tasted. I'll have to try another on using high heat in the WSM.

Good to know. I've had great smoked tri-tip from a place in NorCal. I currently like to rub it with a Santa Maria rub, grill it and serve with a pico and on garlic bread. Also a recipe from Steve Raichlen in BBQ USA. I am jealous you found a butcher who cuts them. I hvae to get mine from Trader Joe's

Back