windy day but got the brisket done...

Eric H

TVWBB Fan
Smoked a 15 lb brisket today, didn't realize how windy it was but struggled to keep the wsm above 225.
Rubbed and ready!

I wound up smoking it on the wsm till about 160, separated, the point,foiled the flat and threw it in the oven for a few more hours.

My helper helped with making the burnt ends....
my helper!

In the end I think it was done correctly, but im finding we seem to like the point cut up, and sauced better than the flat, it was good, a bit peppery this time, does it look ok?

Flat sliced

Looks great to me Eric, looks like it has a killer smoke ring! Hard to tell for sure, but looks pretty moist also. The bark may have suffered a little from being foiled at the end, but it still looks yummy! Thanks for the photos and keep up the good work!

was the flat soft? how did you d4ecide it was finished? what temp? or was it soft enough so the probe went easily in? looks great from here.

looks great to me! I cant pass a brisket thread for nothing! What reasons do you think you like the point better (just curious)? I like the point to though, for sure. Keep it up.

well, i decided it was done when i ran out of time, lol, but the fork did slide in pretty easy, it was nice and soft when eating it, didn't crumble when i sliced it, and yes the bark did suffer, still a work in progress right?

i think one of my problems is i have never had brisket until i made it, so I really don't have a good reference for what its supposed to be, can be good, can be bad..

yea, smoke ring, i was a bit surprised, i dont always get the best one, but i try to take it light on the smoke for my wife and daughter.

well, my daughter eats the ends, and even my wife said she like it better, than the flat tonight, I think its the fat, and crispness.. with nice dose of sweet baby rays, don't forget to sprinkle some rub on top..
man im thinking about a snack already
icon_smile.gif

Good stuff, Eric! I had to deal with some wind here today, too (Connecticut), and I was cooking chicken, so I tried to keep my WSM over 300F...worked for 3/4ths of the cook.

Did you shield your WSM with anything? I used a picnic table (on it's side).

Great job. Looks great.

Eric,

What is the name of the gloves (that your helper is wearing)? Are they heat resistant? Where did you get them?

I have some Orca Silicone but it can be hard to grab stuff since it is just thumb on one side and fingers on the other?

Great looking brisket.

as far as wind, yes, i wound up taking a table and a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, not the best but in a pinch helped enough.

The gloves are from texas BBBq not totally insulated, but perfect for handling hot meats, not hot coals. love the rubs as well.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
The bark may have suffered a little from being foiled at the end, but it still looks yummy! Thanks for the photos and keep up the good work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bark is overrated sometimes, I like the good flavor sometimes the bark will just be that, Bark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave caston:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
The bark may have suffered a little from being foiled at the end, but it still looks yummy! Thanks for the photos and keep up the good work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bark is overrated sometimes, I like the good flavor sometimes the bark will just be that, Bark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, I think it is more important in pulled or chopped meat then sliced meat.

Nice looking brisket!

I have the same gloves, purchased from bbqguru.com for $9.99.

They are "Black Knight Best" PVC gloves. They have a thin lining, somewhat insulated, but they don't sweat your hands while inside (like the silicone Orcas probably do - I used to use similar silicone gloves from Target).

However, they were a topic here and thanks to Bill Hays, they are available at labsafety.com for $3.99! Exact same gloves!

gosh darn it, you dont mean that Brandon!!
icon_wink.gif
I know what your all saying and agree for most beef cuts, except brisket. To me brisket can lack a beefy flavor sometimes, so I like the bark. Im not saying its a tasteless piece of meat, but lets be honest, (to me at least) its tword the bottom of the flavor ladder by itself... one of my fav. comments i've ever read on the board (I thought I was strange for thinking this..) Tri-tip's flavor is better then prime rib to me (and Larry R
icon_wink.gif
). I love a good bark, and actually shoot to get one every time.
icon_smile.gif
thats just me, im no pro for sure! anyone else think that about the flavor? ..would love to hear from you cause what if i'm just getting brisket's w/ a lack of flavor,
icon_confused.gif

That was my comment about liking Tri's over prime rib, but then again I've never had an actual prime grade rib roast so take it for what its worth.

I may be going out on a limb here but I think if your using a good rub it will actualy have more flavor if its not cooked until it turns into bark (ie high heat brisket) The bark is more of a texture thing for me, which I like in pulled beef or pork. Dont get me wrong, I like bark, but a brisket with a soft bark because of foiling is still very tasty.

I may be going out on a limb here but I think if your using a good rub it will actualy have more flavor if its not cooked until it turns into bark (ie high heat brisket) The bark is more of a texture thing for me, which I like in pulled beef or pork. Dont get me wrong, I like bark, but a brisket with a soft bark because of foiling is still very tasty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel the same way also. Bark on the Pork Butt is great but not so much on the brisket.

Back