Wimpy 5 lb brisket

Hank Hill

TVWBB Fan
I'm smokin' 2 butts tomorrow, and wanted to toss a brisket into the mix.

This will be my first brisket.

I just went to Costco, and they had 1 brisket left (and for good reason) it's a 5 pounder. Do I even bother? I mean does this thing have the potential to be any good like its 10 lb counterpart?

Or will this thing wither up to become dust bowl dry?

Or is the only difference that it will be done in half the time?

Any feedback would be appreciated
icon_smile.gif

Just cause it's small doesn't mean a thing. Most of the briskets from Costco are way way over trimmed, but you should still be able to cook a good brisket with it.

I would cook it on the top grate with the butts on the bottom. Cook with a dome temp in the 245-260* range and foil at 165* and then continue to cook until the brisket hits between 190-195* or when you can easily slide your meat probe into several different areas. Then let it rest at least an hour and then open the foil and let cool for 20 minutes before slicing.

Good luck

I cooked a couple of butts last weekend, and decided at the last minute to add a brisket. All I could find was a 4 lb flat. It was wonderful. My only issue was it finished cooking in about 4 hours earlier than I had planned. We just kept it warm, and served it up for an early dinner.

Rick

Wimpy? I think not. I do them all the time for my wife and me and have leftovers for lunch sandwich to take to work. Follow Mr Wolfe's advice and you'll be totally satisfied. Enjoy

Great; thanks for all of the quick responses fellas; I knew I could count on yuh
icon_biggrin.gif

Clark D, it's about 3" thick with a 1/4" fat cap.

LW, that makes me feel so much better. It had a decent fat cap (at least what I think is decent because I don't really know what to look for). Interesting...the top grate? Not questioning you or anything, but I thought I read that I should be cooking the brisket on the bottom so that it catches all of the yummy pork goodness dripping from above?

Rick A, can you tell me how long your 4 pounder cooked? Was it an overnighter? Or did it finish like ribs (in 4-6 hours)?

Dave G, Oh yeah, no matter how you...slice it (nyuck, nyuck, nyuck), 5 lbs is a lot of meat. I was just hoping it wasn't too small as far as briskets go...but now I know I'm good to go.

Hank,

I put my small 4 lb'r finished in about 6-7 hours. I was set up for an overnighter with the butts, and the brisket was done early in the morning. The temp was a bit higher than I usually cook them (around 200), but everyone loved it. I was cooking around 240-250 dome, and the brisket was on the bottom rack.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank Hill:
Interesting...the top grate? Not questioning you or anything, but I thought I read that I should be cooking the brisket on the bottom so that it catches all of the yummy pork goodness dripping from above?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well when I cook butts and briskets at the same time I prefer the brisket on top for mainly convenience. I foil my briskets and they will most always finish before the butts. With it being on the top it's just easier to get to.

As far as if the brisket is on the bottom it catches all of the pork drippings? Well I'm not a believer in the pork really helping the brisket much. Sure the drippings drip on the brisket, but they do not penetrate the brisket. So yeah they're basting, but to me it interfers with bark formation. But that's just my personal preference. Everyone should cook the way that works for them.

Rick A, perfect, then I will plan accordingly to remove the brisket.

LW, I definitely like the convenience factor, especially since I will be removing it before the butts. I like your drippings theories...so to see which cooking methods I prefer; I guess I will just have to cook another brisket to find out
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank Hill:
Rick A, perfect, then I will plan accordingly to remove the brisket.

LW, I definitely like the convenience factor, especially since I will be removing it before the butts. I like your drippings theories...so to see which cooking methods I prefer; I guess I will just have to cook another brisket to find out
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what's fun about experimenting! It never ends and we always get to eat good!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I just did my first smoked brisket this weekend. It was by coincidence a "wimpy" 4.27 lb-er from costco. Took 6 hours and 25 minutes and was the best thing i have smoked yet in the WSM...

Next time i want to do a whole packer, I didnt know they came that way in my rush thru the store yesterday...

I foiled at 165 and it shot up quick to 190..
Thanks for the method..enjoyed it

Go Gators

Back