Will this candy thermo be ok for my WSM ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBQ Mark,

That one should work just fine. Make sure you check it for accuracy. Boil a pot of water, it should read 212 or pretty darn close.

Should be OK in the interrim. Can't think of a reason to cook/measure above 400* in the WSM.

Break? Probably not.

Mark, I have two candy/deep-fryer thermometers of varying stem length that I swap off using through the vents in the top of my WSM, and I've not had any problem with them at all. I feel sure that they are exposed to a higher heat when they're clipped to the side of a pot of boiling sugar or oil than they are when they're stuck in the top of our little smokers.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Hi everybody thanks for the good news, glad I bought an "ok" thermometer for the time being. I really want a Trend so I can mount it on the WSM and make it really look professional.

Kerri, what did you mean by "swap" do you use different thermometer during a smoke, or did you buy more than one of those, and have them placed in differnt places on the WSM ?

thanks in advance,
Mark

Do you leave the candy thermometer in the top vent? The one I bought for 3.99 at kmart that totally filled the vent hole. I am new to WSM and I was afraid that leaving it there would restrict the air flow too much.

I used to use a drilled out wine cork with a Polder probe inserted in it in the top vent. Blocking one of the holes shouldn't be a problem. Check out the Mounting a Thermometer article in the Tips & Mods section on the website for some ideas.

Mark,

When I said that I "swap out" thermometers, I only meant that sometimes I use one, and sometimes I use the other, depending on what I'm cooking on the top rack. One therm has a 9-inch stem, which is too long to use if I have a butt on the top rack, as the butt end of the therm butts up against the butt (so to speak). I use the brackets that came with the deep-fryer thermometers, normally used to mount the thermometer to the side of a pot during frying use, to prop the thermometer so that it doesn't block the vent hole. I've also occasionally made a small V shape from a couple of layers of heavy foil, run the thermometer through the small end, and propped the larger end over the vent hole like a pup tent so that the foil held the thermometer face up such hole wasn't completely blocked.

Let's see, as far as what I use in the WSM, I currently have:

-2 Polders, one of which I usually dangle (to the curve of the probe) in the top vent along with a deepfry therm so that they keep a check on each other. I set the Polder body onto a metal C-clamp that I place on the side of the lid handle.
-1 Taylor electronic thermometer (on the way from Amazon)
-2 Maverick ET-73 remotes, which I have decided that I love dearly. So far I'm only using one at a time. (I hook 'em onto previously-mentioned c-clamps)
-2 or 3 various deep-fry thermometers
-4 regular dial-type oven thermometers (2 of which are woefully off)
-2 Taylor "grill" thermometers which are essentially worthless. The theory is good, but first time I wiped them off, the numbers came right off the face of the dial onto the towel. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://www.kitchencook.com/kitchen/Taylor_Grills_Fryers_Barbecue_Tools_26671.cfm

-1 mercury-based analog thermometer

In the offset trailer rig, I use the ET-73 or a Polder run under the lid or inside the upright door just to keep a check on the industrial thermometer in the horizontal section's body, along with a couple of old-fashioned oven thermometers. From experience I know that if the industrial therm shows 300, then at the top rack of the vertical I'm at about 225, at the cool end of the horizontal I'm at about 185, at the middle of the horizontal I'm at about 225, and at the warm side of the horizontal I'm at about 245. (I've GOT to better figure out the theories of tuning a pit...)

Hi, my name is Keri, and I'm a thermomaholic.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri Cathey:
[qb]Hi, my name is Keri, and I'm a thermomaholic.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, Keri, the first step on the road to recovery is recognizing and admitting that you have a problem. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Good luck,
Chris

Does anybody have an up date as to where on the net is the best site to buy a Maverick ET-73?

I found several sites but all wanted around $70.00... I thought I read somewhere where you could buy one for about $40.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Thanks...

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm going to update this note here at the top - the number for thegadgetsource.com is 1-800-458-2616, and they have plenty of them. Just got in several hundred of 'em. She didn't know that their website was down.

Keri C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, we WERE getting them for $40 through Linda at www.thegadgetsource.com , by calling the customer service number and asking for Linda if she wasn't the one who answered. I saw the ET-73 on the website for $39.95 just a few days ago, so they had finally gotten it listed. HOWEVER, I've been trying to hit their site for the last few minutes, and it's not showing up. Can't find it. Gone 404 bye-bye. Hopefully, they're just doing some maintenance or something. I'd hate to think that all us Q'ers ran them out of business trying to get ahold of these thermometers!

I should have the phone number at home on the paperwork that came with mine. I'll try to find and post it tonight.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Well, I do have to admit that it was kind of nice to continue working in the kitchen or helping hubby-dear on Q-barn construction, and just glance over at the receiver and see how things were progressing. The beeper on the alarm scares the bejeebers out of my schnauzer, though.

I wonder how many ET-73 units were sold because of the news being spread on the TVWB board? Chris, might be an interesting poll sometime... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

I just ordered an ET-73, total cost $46.49 including shipping to Jesup, Georgia... No problem getting to the site.. Thanks for the information...

Cheers!!!

bill /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi all,

Can somebody fill me on on this thermometer.. I only today saw posts about it.... I just checked that link somebody posted and realize it is a digital thermometer with probe, wireless ? wow... I thought most loved the Polder, and there was nothing better ? Don't think the Polder is wireless though.

oh, and is this a super price for this thermometer ?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Gotta keep up. Things move pretty fast around here. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Here's the thread that started the discussion of the Maverick ET-73. Check in the Advanced Discussion forum for other threads on it.

Hi Doug,

Yeah I see that now, just read thru all the other thread wow.

Ok good question here: .... what WAS the final say on this new thermometer... does it take the cake, is it great ? or were results on it, so-so, I read a few people on the thread saying they wouldn't be sold on it until they tried it, but I didn't see anything about anyone who had now been able to try it. Hmm.

Maybe there's another thread somewhere with that info, not sure though /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

anyway good price for what it does.

I notice somebody mentioned that the device went to sleep and lost contact with the probe, but that this new model had that feature removed ( battery saving feature ).... has anyone been able to verify that the feature has indeed been removed on this model ? or maybe not many have this new new model yet.

Mark

Morning Bruce,

Just checked it out, thanks for that info.
Pretty good news.

As a beginner who has yet to use their WSM, because of rain, and if not rain, wind.....

Would I profit from buying one of these ?

I have bought a candy thermo for the top vent while I try and get a Trend thermometer my WSM.

This new thermometer, would you say that one buys it more for the meat temp ? than the temp inside the actual WSM ?

anyone can pipe in with an answer by the way :-)

Ok thanks in advance,

Mark.
( another rainy day here in Ottawa Ontario )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back