Wild turkey smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin J

TVWBB Member
I didn't find too much in my search, so thought I would ask just to be safe.

I'm smoking a couple of wild turkeys for my brother, both are probably around 8lbs and have been skinned (he decided plucking was too much of a hassle). I'm going to smoke them for him on Friday and need some input since I know they are way leaner than farm raised birds.

He will be brining them starting Thursday and I've told him 12 hours should be good. Do you agree?

As far as cooking, do I just cook it normal - 325 or so until 160 in the breast? Not sure if foiling will help to improve the tenderness. Oh yeah, I plan on doing this with no pan, just like I do chicken.

ANy thoughts on improving this smoke would be appreciated.

Kevin

Length of time in the brine will depend on how strong or weak the brine is (i.e. water:salt).

Wild turkeys are much leaner. My suggestion would be a paste rub, very heavy on the oil (or you could make a paste out of ground fat). I'd also cook at 300.

He was planning on using the standard turkey brine from the cooking section of the this site. How would we go about making a paste rub?

Kevin

If you're using the basic brine I'd go 8 hours. If you need to brine longer cut the salt by a third.

Were you planning on a rub anyway? Or not?

If so, you can make it (skip the salt or add just a pinch) and mix oil into it. I like e,v, olive oil but whatever you have is fine. Alternatively, you can grind some duck fat, pork fat, chicken fat or beef fat (make sure it's not salted, duck, chicken or pork is my preference) or use schmaltz (if you're near a Jewish deli they'll have it) and mix it with your rub instead of (or for part of) the oil. Mix it so that it's pasty. Smear it on your turkey (and smear some inside both cavities) and allow the birds to sit out 30-40 min before cooking. Monitor your cook temps and internals carefully: they overcook easily. You asked about foiling and I'm not sure on that. Perhaps someone else has tried that, I have not. If I was going to, I'd probably foil at 135-140. Might be a good idea, I'm just not sure. If you've the luxury, you could foil one and not the other and see what works best for future cooks.

Kevin,
You make a paste rub by combining your dry ingredients with the wet ingredients to form a "paste". In this case your wet ingredient will be oil. Since the turkeys are skinless, you might want to cook breast side down and baste a time or two during the cook to help keep them moist.

You guys are very helpful and I certainly appreciate it. I was planning on a rub, so I will go the paste rub route to keep things as juicy as possible. Just to make sure I follow:

1) Brine with standard brine for 8 hours
2) Rinse the bird well and dry it
3) Apply oil heavy paste rub to bird and let air dry 30-40 minutes
4) Put bird on the WSM at 300 degrees - nothing in the pan breast down
5) Baste a few times along the way
6) Pull the bird when the breast hits 160 degrees?

Kevin

Yes. You've got the flow.

If you have a roasting pan V-rack use it (oil it first). It will stabilize the birds. Larry's suggestion of breast down is a good one.

Good deal. Smoke will be rising come Friday afternoon
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,
Kevin

P.S.

Where are you in Medford? In town or what? I go to a feed/ranch store on 99 when I'm there. Might be the second week of Jan--not sure yet.

Wow, you know the area. I have to assume you talking about the Grange Co-Op and yeah, I'm right in town. You'll have to give me a call if you come to town. Maybe I can cook something up or there are a couple of BBQ places in Grants Pass I've been wanting to try out. Well, there are a couple here in town as well, Back Porch BBQ in Jacksonville and Piggy's here in Medford, but the best one closed up - Texas Pitstop BBQ.

Anyways, drop me a line if you are coming to the area.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back