wild boar spare ribs?

Mike Tag

TVWBB Member
Was at Central Market and noticed they have wold boar spare ribs available. Also have all cuts of a buffalo you could want, and venison. Anyone ever smoke wild boar spare ribs? How did they turn out? Is the taste that much different from normal pork? Had a couple of buffalo burgers and they were good just like I remember them from a few years back in Wyoming.

Hi Mike
In London, in particular Southwark, we are fortunate to have Borough Market (which has been trading for nearly 2000 years) you can get wild boar products there, so this summer I'll have to enquire about that. They also have rare-breed animals, specially raised, so I might have to splurge for a posh brisket, and $50 boar butt!! I'll keep you posted if I can tell a difference, I suspect you can because dry cure wild boar bacon is really tasty.

morgan

Boar ribs are great, imo. The flavor is more intense than pork and they are leaner so you have to be careful cooking them. Younger boar is more tender, as you'd expect.

Boar ribs were presented as the wild game category at the Cabelas contest in Kc, Ks. We had absolutely no idea how to cook them so we went two hours on a kettle (offset fire of course) then an hour in foil. They were ok, a little tough. On one rack, the meat pulled back from the bone so dramatically that they looked to crazy to turn in. I liked the flavor, you can definately tell that they aren't pork ribs. I talked to one team who's cook said he soaked them in milk and onions overnight then started them at 6am. Must have worked, he took a top ten in wild game and we finished 20th. Good luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
An hour-an hour and a half or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx... Will be doing them tomorrow. Let you know how they come out.

Back