WiFi Stoker Kit Automatic Temperature Control System

Bill Corum

TVWBB Member
I have owned a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 cooker for almost 3 years and have used it enough to get a good idea of how it behaves. I have also been adjusting the lower vents to control the heat in the cooker and have had all the playing with the vents I want. I have been reading posts here on the form and the information has been a factor in me deciding to purchase a WiFi Stoker Kit I also upgraded to longer cable lengths from 4ft to 10ft. They are pricey, but i want to set it and forget it especially on long cooks. I also plan on getting the BBQ Monitor app for my iPhone. I posted the prices of what I purchased in case anyone on the from was wanting to take the plunge. I will keep the form updated when I get it up and running.

P.S. I purchased the below from Rocks bbq

WiFi Stoker Kit - 10cfm $400.00 Qty: 1

22 WSM Adapter $25.00 Qty: 1

10ft Probe Upgrade $12.00 Qty: 1

10ft Probe Upgrade $12.00 Qty: 1

10ft Blower Extension $16.00 Qty: 1

Bracket Combo - WiFi $20.00 Qty: 1

Sensor Grommets $10.00 Qty: 1

WSM Grill Adapter $10.00 Qty: 1

Shipping: $16.00
Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $521.00

Last edited:
Bill,

Congrats and welcome to the AWESOME world of ATC!! I too have a WiFi Stoker that I've used for about 6 months now and LOVE IT! I have used it quite a bit this winter, despite the terrible cold we've had and it works flawlessly. I've used it on long overnight cooks and 4 hour rib cooks. All were "set it and forget it!" Well worth the money spent, IMHO!

Tim

Tim, thanks for the vote of confidence on the Stoker WiFi ATC. I am looking forward receiving, installing, getting the WiFi set up and BBQ Monitor app for my iPhone and doing a cook. My goal is to have the Stocker save me many trips to WSM to adjust the vents and during the long overnight cooks I will just dream a bout having great bbq ready the next day.

Bill

Run a stoker here too. Besides the awesome 'set-it and forget-it' temperature control, works excellent when doing PSB. Ran the stoker initially at 250 then later at 350. Dialed in the new temperature and retreated back to my abode.

Bill,

I'll be honest, on my first overnight cook with the Stoker, I woke up alot just to make sure it was working and, as expected, it was! So you just have to tell yourself that it WILL work like it's supposed to, otherwise, you'll be up a lot like I was. I have it set to the Stokerlog application and I also use the BBQ Monitor app as well. Stokerlog is all you'll need to monitor when doing any cook, but especially an overnight cook. I use the BBQ Monitor app when I'm too lazy to get off my chair to look at my computer at the Stokerlog. Have fun!

Tim

Not familiar with the iPhone app, but for over-nighters I run StokerLog and set the alarm with the PC volume turned up loud enough that it will wake me up. Don't recall it happening though, maybe once.

Received my Stoker a couple of weeks ago and spent quit a bit of time to learn about setting up the wifi, stoker log and stoker status page. I sure know my Netgear wifi router much better also. My first cook was today and I cooked a slab of baby back ribs. The ribs were the best ribs I have ever cooked in my WSM cooker in the 3 years I have owned it. Back to the stoker, I did lose wifi connection to stoker log a few times, but it connected right back up. I had my Ipad pretty close to the stoker and used the BBQ Monitor app on the Ipad for 90% of the cook. I did have temperature swings mostly above 275. I had the stoker set at 275 low alarm set at 250 and high alarm set at 300. It was a bit windy here today (15-20 mph) and temperature when I started about 50 and up to 75 when I quit. I'm sure there is a learning curve to the Stoker and I have one cook under my belt. I have ordered a Netgear AC 1200 wifi extender. The Stoker is quite a ways from my router and hopefully the wifi extender will help from losing wifi signal to Stoker Log. Overall the Stocker worked great and I am looking forward to my next cook using it. I will be doing an overnight pork butt cook soon.

Last edited:
Bill, the more you use your Stoker, the more it will "learn" and be able to dial in your temperature more accurately. I have one of the older non-wifi Stokers and have used it for many years. I've never had a problem with the Stoker but I have had to replace pit probes due to me leaving them in after a competition and pulling my trailer-mounted smoker down the highway. The temps got so hot the plastic coating on the pit probes melted -- as did the grill brush I had laying on a rack. Just make sure to build some sort of box or something to keep the Stoker unit and fan out of the rain if you are going to be cooking in a storm. I use a rolled-up piece of flashing to make a tube to keep the fan dry and I use a small rubbermaid box to keep the Stoker and my wireless router dry.

Have fun with your new "toy"!

I am running Windows 7 and have stoker log installed also. Every thing I start my computer stoker log also starts up and I have to close it out. How you you keep stoker log from starting when I start my computer?
Thanks
Bill

Bill,

I have the same issue, but not sure how to have it stop. I actually like it when it pops up as it reminds me how much fun I have using the Stoker!

Also, I am curious to know how your Netgear WiFi extender works. At home I am hard-wired into my router so I never lose the connection, but when I take the Stoker to the lake I tie into my neighbors WiFi which is a little ways away. I haven't used the Stoker there yet, but looking to do so quite a bit this summer. So keep us posted if you would.

Tim

To remove programs from the Startup in Windows 7, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start automatically.

Bill,

I have the same issue, but not sure how to have it stop. I actually like it when it pops up as it reminds me how much fun I have using the Stoker!

Also, I am curious to know how your Netgear WiFi extender works. At home I am hard-wired into my router so I never lose the connection, but when I take the Stoker to the lake I tie into my neighbors WiFi which is a little ways away. I haven't used the Stoker there yet, but looking to do so quite a bit this summer. So keep us posted if you would.

Tim

Tim I will post the results of the wifi extender.
Bill

My Wifi Stoker when hooked up to my WSM cooker is approximately 175 feet from my computer room. I have the WSM in a 10x12 shed for wind block and I can also cook when it rains or snows. The Stoker was too far away from my home wifi router to connect to it. Sooo I decided to buy a Netgear AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender. I got it all connected and tested it and the stoker connects to the wifi and works like a champ. I can now connect to stoker log on my laptop or desktop computers. I can connect with my iPad and iPhone with BBQ Monitor app. I also bought a Schumacher XP2260 1200 Peak Amp Instant Portable Power Source or a battery ( I don’t have power in the shed) and a 12 volt power adapter (ordered through Rocks BBQ) to plug in the battery and plug my stoker into it. Now to test all this equipment during a cook which will happen this weekend. It sure takes a lot of equipment.
Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

Glad to hear all is working! Can't wait to hear how your cook turns out this weekend! Thanks for all your information. Have fun!!

Tim

Cooked 2 chicken halfs on the WSM yesterday. I had my stoker wifi hooked up to my WSM and tried to maintain a 350 degree temperature and cook the chicken for approximately 90 minutes. This cook was a learning experience big time. To begin with I decided to start my fire using the Minion method with just a few light coals on top of probably 8 pounds of unlit k-blue. I Had the two bottom vents open and the vent on top open and the stoker shut off for now. It took around an hour to around get the temp to 275 and I was tired of waiting so I fired up the stoker and when it reached 325 I put the chicken on and of course the temperature dropped to around 275. I did get it back to around 350. Every 30 minutes I would open the lid and baste the chicken and the temperature would drop to around 275. It would get back to 350 after awhile. My cook temperature was really a yo-yo up and down. I do believe the stoker is best suited for low and slow. You guys/gals who use stokers when do you turn your stokers on? After you have reached your low and slow temperature like 250/275? Or start you stoker immediately? My connection over wifi to stoker log worked great.

Last edited:
You need to set your stoker pit temp to about 50° below what you are wanting. From there take it up in 10° to 20° increments. Remember to keep the lid closed and use the temp probe to keep an eye on the food.

Bill,

I usually turn my stoker on when I throw the lit coals on the unlit and assemble the smoker. If I'm smoking hot, then I'll light a few more coals so the temps climb faster. I do agree that it is best suited for slow and low but if your cooking hot for a period of time, like doing a whole turkey for 3 hours at 325, then it works great. I have used the stoker for cooks around 325 degrees but I haven't used it for cooks 350+. I did 2 whole chickens a few weeks back and did not use the stoker as I wanted to temps to be near 350 so I just opened all vents and propped the access door and had no issues keeping it hot. Glad it all went well with your first attempt.

Tim

Joe, thanks for that advice I have been setting the set point on the stoker toooo high.
You need to set your stoker pit temp to about 50° below what you are wanting. From there take it up in 10° to 20° increments. Remember to keep the lid closed and use the temp probe to keep an eye on the food.

Tim, thanks for the advice. I am going to save it for reference for sure. I will be 60 years old in August and I am having a ball playing with this stoker wifi setup. I am the bbq hero of my family.
Bill,

I usually turn my stoker on when I throw the lit coals on the unlit and assemble the smoker. If I'm smoking hot, then I'll light a few more coals so the temps climb faster. I do agree that it is best suited for slow and low but if your cooking hot for a period of time, like doing a whole turkey for 3 hours at 325, then it works great. I have used the stoker for cooks around 325 degrees but I haven't used it for cooks 350+. I did 2 whole chickens a few weeks back and did not use the stoker as I wanted to temps to be near 350 so I just opened all vents and propped the access door and had no issues keeping it hot. Glad it all went well with your first attempt.

Tim

Back