Wife says NO LUMP

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
I did some steaks today on the regular BBQ and wife said she really missed the K taste said the lump was bland . I kina agree . So I guess its K only here smoker and all . Anyone else think lump is bland adds nuten to the the taste ? Wife said she might as well a cooked it on the stove in the house ! I used BGE lump thats RO I think .

I prefer to think of RO lump as a clean taste, and add smoke wood if I want smokiness.
icon_biggrin.gif

if she likes the taste then thats what you have to use. i'm just not fond of the junk they use to make it. use some chunks or chips to add some taste. thats the point of lump, clean taste with little junk and this allows you to have a clean plate to try the differant smoking woods.

I cooked steak today, too, and used lump, as always. When I cook burgers or steak, I toss about 1/8 cup of wood chips on the fire (pecan today, since I happened to have a bag) and that does seem to make a difference.

Having recently made the switch to lump, I've had the opportunity to cook only a couple steaks on it, but I have to say they have been my best ever. My wife, who generally does not like steak, has been completely shocked to discover that she loves a steak cooked to just barely medium over lump. When I use lump, I get my flavor from the caramelized crust of juice and seasoning on the outside of the steak.

I like to use lump but with a couple of chunks of hickory or pecan tossed into my chimney starter when I light the coals. Seems to give steaks and burgers a nice smokey flavor in addition to the grilled goodness!

A lot of folks don't like the smell of K when it's lighting in the chimney. It can be strong, but it kinda gives me a flash back to when I was a kid and my Dad was lighting the coals. Back then, however, it wasn't K, it was "Ole Diz!"

Pat

I've always wondered what the deal is with people "tasting" kingsford. I don't taste a thing. Are they using it before its lit? Are they super tasters? Somehow a lot of people win bbq contests without being dinged for off flavors from using kingsford. It leaves me scratching my head.

I agree with using a little smoke wood on steaks, I like it. I do think I can produce a superior steak on lump because of its high temp capability. Don't be too quick to throw the lump out, give yourself a chance to practice with it, its a nice tool to have.

Personally I put 3/4 of a chimney of lit lump on one side of the kettle, some smoke wood, and the steak on the other. When the steak is nearly cooked I move it off the grill, open the lid and let the coals get inferno hot and sear my steaks directly on them. Rest and serve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John09:
I've always wondered what the deal is with people "tasting" kingsford. I don't taste a thing. Are they using it before its lit? Are they super tasters? Somehow a lot of people win bbq contests without being dinged for off flavors from using kingsford. It leaves me scratching my head.

I agree with using a little smoke wood on steaks, I like it. I do think I can produce a superior steak on lump because of its high temp capability. Don't be too quick to throw the lump out, give yourself a chance to practice with it, its a nice tool to have.

Personally I put 3/4 of a chimney of lit lump on one side of the kettle, some smoke wood, and the steak on the other. When the steak is nearly cooked I move it off the grill, open the lid and let the coals get inferno hot and sear my steaks directly on them. Rest and serve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto - can't make a better recommendation myself. Other than there's lump out there on the market that isn't very good so watch what you buy. Cowboy lump is everywhere these days and to me I wouldn't use it ever. Find a good quality lump and stay with it. With a good one you may find you like it just as is without smoke wood.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. For anyone who grew up with their Dad dumping half a bottle of lighter fluid on half a bag of K then I'm sure somewhere in your mind you will have a trigger for those exact tastes and smells.
Especially when grilling, the smell of burgers or steaks cooking just adds to the anticipation of eating.

I have used a few briquette products and I really REALLY don't like the smell of them lighting. While I might use them to grill (after letting that aweful smell burn off) I don't think I'll ever use in my WSM.

When people talk about people winning comps using blue bag K I often wonder about what type of smoker is being used. If it's an "offset" style, then the heat chamber will be much hotter than a WSM and therefore more of the volitiles would be burnt off.

Personally I think it's important to look at your fuel as you are cooking with low heat and will be surrounding your food in anything it releases.

Regarding the type of smoker used when winning with the blue bag, I'm not sure it matters as much as the cook's skill with their tools. As a noteable example, take harry soo. He cooks on wsm's and said here that he just uses the blue bag. The guy has a lot of wins if K is leaving a taste or scent on the meat.

Could you leave a taste with K? Sure I'll buy that, but I don't think its a must.

Back