Why'd my brisket only take 10 hrs?

Robert S.

TVWBB Member
Fri. nite at 5:30 I started a BOB w/ 2-6#butts over a 11.4# brisket (trimmed to about 10#)planning on an early lunch. Cooker temps were stable at 215-230 all evening. Went to bed at 10 and woke up at 3:30 and decided to check temps. Cooker was still 225, but brisket flat read 192. Poked through the point and it was like soft butter! I immediately pulled, wrapped, and put in cooler. Left butts on til 5:00. Brisket flat was still sliceable,but barely. Point easily pulled apart. It was succulent!
I was figuring on about maybe 15 hours! What happened? I had 2 thermometers in the cooker. One on top and one at top grill level, so I know my temps were accurate.

Well no two briskets are the same. I've had briskets finnish the same as yours did 1 hr lb. Also had some take 1.5 hrs a lb. When doing briskets i figure somewhere in the 1 - 1.5 hrs per lb at 225 degrees.
icon_smile.gif

I'm finding out that good Q isn't a science. Sure, there's tons of science involved in the actions and reactions, but the magic "when is it done?" is best through experience.

I had a brisket nearly the same weight as yours with two butts and my cook last 15 hours. I guess that's why, as Bryan said, it's 1 to 1.5.

Back