Why is my heater meter doing this, erratic temps on thermoworks probes

EricPeterson

Have a heater meter that a buddy made. It was working awesome but something changed as I don't use it much and don't remember this happening before

I have thermoworks tx-1001x-OP probes and some left over Igrill probes

Problem im having is the igrill probes work rock solid but my thermoworks probes jump all over the place and then not at all

Here is a picture of the graph

It did it last time I ran it. Then brought it inside and ran it to see what happened. I switched out probes and it was stable. Left it run for a night and no erratic temps after I changed the thermo prob out for another. So I out that one aside and marked it. Didnt use it today. So I've changed probes, tried not olugging them in all the way, etc but no changes. Also changed outlet outside incase it was that. Changed extension cords. No change,

Any thoughts or help?
Eric

Last edited:
What version of heatermeter? 4.0, 4.1, 4.2?

Does the erratic behaviour follow the probe if you plug it into one of the other jacks?

Follows the probe. Not a specific jack. Tried multiple thermo works probes with same results. Not sure witch version I have. How do I look?

Open the case and look on the circuit board. It will say "HeaterMeter vxxx" where xxx is the version number.

Follows the probe. Not a specific jack. Tried multiple thermo works probes with same results. Not sure witch version I have. How do I look?

If I read that correctly, you are saying no matter what jack you plug this probe into it is flaky? First I should ask if you went into the Heater Meter Config page and selected the proper probe type to match your probe for each probe jack? I-grill and Thermoworks probes will not use the same preset... If your presets are correct, and one probe works and another (same type) probe flakes then I guess maybe you have a bad probe? They are very sensitive to water and heat, do your best not to get them wet or expose them to flame or high heat... I says this because when I built my first HM I wanted to test/calibrate my probes so the first thing I did was dunk them into a pot of boiling water, cable end and all... Bad idea, NOT waterproof on the cable... The Thermoworks are much better in this regard, the mavericks are horrible, don't even sweat on them! LOL

Eric yours is the 4.1 version. Also I wonder if the connectors I used just have issues with the thermo works. If what they suggested does not work I will try some different connectors if you mail it back

Last edited:
Eric yours is the 4.1 version. Also I wonder if the connectors I used just have issues with the thermo works. If what they suggested does not work I will try some different connectors if you mail it back

Yes 4.1. Chriso made this. Also made sure I had the right presets on the right probes

Just tried a brand new thermo works in the two open ports I have. Brand new prob wouldn't read, the would for 2 sec, then not at all. Also when messing with the probes the display had some funky symbols that came up not the normal display. Unplugged and plugged back in then would work. Messed with probes got the same funky symbols that scrolled. Not sure what that was

Any advice?

If not I'll finish the cook and send to you christo. Maybe you have some magic you can work.

Eric I wonder since the drop ifthe SD card is not seated correctly.can you pull it out and put it back in?

Eric I wonder since the drop ifthe SD card is not seated correctly.can you pull it out and put it back in?

I just took the whole thing apart. Separated the two boards, removed the sd card and then reassembled all of it. Plugged it in and all 4 probes (two i grill and 2 thermoworks) are registering normal. So not sure what was up maybe a lose connection. But strange it would only do it to thermoworks probes.

I'm gonna run it all night long with probes in the juice pan from the pulled pork and watch how they do all night long.

Strange. But might be fixed?

Ran all night and they all worked. Woke you and they were within about 3 degrees of eachother and had bedsteads working since I reassembled

When you took the unit apart, how loose was the SD card? When I was finishing my second HM4.2.4 a few weeks ago, I noticed that the SD card I grabbed from a parts box fit kind of loose. Thought it might come loose from being moved around. When to Fry's and bought a new one and it fit much more snug. Just a thought but you never know.

That probably was not the problem then. One of mine was so loose that I thought it could fall out when the HM was moved.

Back