Why does the WSM come with no Themometer???

SCOTT DOWNS

OK dumb question??? Why does such a good product like the WSM and the One touch come with no themometer. I was looking over at my neighbors Preformer and was thinking why the hell am I drilling holes in my grills to see the temps??? I mean they put one on his grill why not my kettle or my WSM. What gives weber????

Hi Scott, was told that Weber wanted to keep there price down is why,I guess Brinkman smoker is less than Weber (But not better) some people don't get that.

Mike

I can't speak for Weber and I don't understand the kettle, but my opinion on why they don't include a thermometer on the WSM is because you don't need one. If you follow their directions, it's almost certain that the WSM will stay in a normal BBQ range of about 225º to 275º. Basically, if you have a good fire going and a water pan full of water, the WSM hold normal smoking temps.

It's only us minion method, sand in the pan, don't let my temp fluctuate pit masters that need a thermometer. And by not putting one on the unit at the factory, you get your choice. If drilling a hole is a concern, there are other choices that require no drilling. Part of the fun is to make it your own.

Show us a pic when you get yours mounted.

Maybe it's because a quality thermometer costs too much. Then there's the increased manufacturing costs (somebody's got to install 'em), and the inevitable warranty issues. And just try to imagine the burden of providing "support" when John Q. Public calls to say he can't get the unit to "stay at 250?."

I think Jerry made some great points as well. Depending on your desire and budget, you can spend nothing at all, or a small fortune -- the choice is yours.

I had the same questions when I bought my first one.

The problem with many factory installs are the types and length of probes used in their therms.

I have a factory therm in my offset. The stem is so short on the lid that it registers 50-75 degrees too low. After 3-4 hours it tends to level out some.

In the Wsm, people put it where they think it's most accurate and/or convenient. And once you get comfortable with the cooker, you'll rely less and less perfect temp control.

I use the simplest method of either putting the therm through a cork, or using a screw in therm ( I have 2 wsm's). In both cases I measure at the lid and don't worry about temps anywhere else.

Some people use the "hand" method and don't use or need a therm at all.

same reason they made the access door so cheap..personally i would not mind paying a bit more for a better built door

I agree on the fact that the more you use it the less you need a therm...and the less worried you arre about it. I now set my ET-73 to wake me up for PB's only if it spikes over 280 drops below 220. I feel that range will not hurt my cooking time when I wake up from a sound night's sleep.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay Jackson:
I agree on the fact that the more you use it the less you need a therm...and the less worried you arre about it. I now set my ET-73 to wake me up for PB's only if it spikes over 280 drops below 220. I feel that range will not hurt my cooking time when I wake up from a sound night's sleep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty much what I do also. I'll put one probe in the meat and one in a potatoe or something els and set it on the grate next to the meat. Set the meat probe for the temp I'm looking for and the other probe for the highest emp I want it to goto. That way in the middle of the night, if the temp spikes, I can get out there and work on it before it stays too high, too long. I use the ET-72 single probe therms. I've been thinking about getting a couple of ET 73s for use with my other smoker, or to use in combination.

Back