Why crunchy, stiff pizza crust?

Jim Mathews

TVWBB Member
I have been buying pizza dough from a local pizzeria, and using my Kettlepizza, with good results. For the amount of dough they give me, it usually results in too large a pizza for my stone, so I usually discard about 25% of the dough ball. Yesterday I forgot to do that, so I ended up with a thicker dough, on a similar-sized pizza. Looked like it was cooked to perfection, but the dough was very stiff and crunchy (not burnt ) on the outside. Meaning, if you held the edge of the crust of one slice in 2 fingers and held the slice out in front of you horizontally, it did not bend at all, stiff as a board. Biting into it was as crunchy on the outside as burnt toast (even though it was only lightly browned). Inside was very light and fluffy.

Was it because of the thicker crust? I also may have used a bit less sauce, which maybe resulted in a drier crust?

Was it because of the thicker crust? I also may have used a bit less sauce, which maybe resulted in a drier crust?
My guess is that you cooked at a lower heat than your usual, which allowed the crust to dry out, but not burn

FWIW: Crunchy Crust is highly desired by many. You accidental cook, is sought by many a pizza maker

Your typical thin crust pizza dough will do exactly what you are talking about if it's too thick. You certainly could have cooked it cooler than normal as Chucko

THANKS GUYS! It did cook it lower. I usually use my kettlepizza with lump and oak splits, and cook it at around 650 - 700 degrees. But i forgot to mention (I didn't think it mattered) that I was out of charcoal, so I cooked it in my oven at 500, for a much longer period of time. So the dough dried out, making it stiff and crunchy. Combined with the fact that it was thicker than I like.

It could be any of the above, or it could be that it might have taken you a little longer to get the dough from the refrigerator, to top it, and then to the grill. It might have begun to proof and get a little lighter and puffier.

Also, it could also be a factor of how old or young the dough was when you bought it and the temperature at which it was stored until you bought it.

I'm leaning toward ChuckO's thought that the heat might have been a little lower, which would have caused the dough to begin rising before it cooked through.

Having grown up and developed my taste for pizza in NYC, except for the fact that the crust was thick, you made the perfect slice that will
support itself when held straight out. Congrats and next time save me a slice!:coolkettle:

Pizza dough varies in it's composition and the results from that composition. As you found out, how it's baked is also a factor. Then, there is the matter of personal preference...

I suggest that any who like pizza might find it very rewarding to try different doughs.

As an example, here are some I have tried. I like all three of them but have ranked them by my preference. As always, YMMV.

1-Home made dough using the recipe found in our food processor manual

http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/breads/436.html

2 - The "No Knead" dough

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/no-knead-pizza-dough

3 - Trader Joe's prepared refrigerated dough

My son and his family prefer the "no knead dough", while my wife and I prefer the Cuisinart dough. I will tell you, though, that the Trader Joe's prepared dough is VERY good, also.

There is also a 4th alternative. Many pizza shops will sell you their dough for a nominal amount.

There! Just to let you know that there are almost infinite choices but here is a good place to start :cool:.

Incidentally, I LOVE my new pizza stone rack:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?62734-Building-a-rack-for-a-Pizza-Stone&highlight=pizza+stone+rack

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Having grown up and developed my taste for pizza in NYC, except for the fact that the crust was thick, you made the perfect slice that will
support itself when held straight out. Congrats and next time save me a slice!:coolkettle:

Thanks for the encouragement.

I grew up in New Haven, eating thin, greasy, pizza. To me, if I hold a slice with 2 fingers at the lip of the crust, the slize should sag downward significantly, and preferably, all the grease and cheese should slide off the crust in a fantastic soupy mess that I can slurp right down.

This was beyond stiff and crunchy. But very light and chewy on the inside.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I grew up in New Haven, eating thin, greasy, pizza. To me, if I hold a slice with 2 fingers at the lip of the crust, the slize should sag downward significantly, and preferably, all the grease and cheese should slide off the crust in a fantastic soupy mess that I can slurp right down.

This was beyond stiff and crunchy. But very light and chewy on the inside.

Hi Jim. Another thing to remember is that pizza dough freezes VERY well, so if you find you have too much, cut it off, form it into a ball, wrap it well (ideally use a vacuum sealer) and save it for the next time you want to make a pizza (I'm guessing you'll have to save a few pieces to accomplish this). Another thing you can do is make a calzone out of the remnants for lunch the next day.

Whatever you end up doing, just enjoy what you've made because it really is always better than something commercial!

Back