Why are my pork butts dry?

Sean Cunningham

I have been smoking pork butts on the WSM for about 2 years. For the last 6 or 8 smokes, I have used a BBQ Guru, which has worked great for keeping the temperature at 225 or so.

For some reason, though, my pork butts are coming out kind of dry. I normally do two butts and take them to about 190 degrees, which takes 14-16 hours. The meat falls apart really nicely, and the parts nearest the bone are normally moist.

The bulk of the meat seems dry, however. I trim the butts pretty much like I see in the butt recipe pictures here.

When I have pork butt in bbq joints, the meat seems much more moist. Am I trimming the meat too much? Is there some other thing I may be doing wrong?

I run mine at 250 and lower if I can get it there. Never had this problem. I do not think trimming has anything to do with it. The outside fat isn't what makes this meat so good to begn with!

Like I said in another thread, I don't do a dry rub. I start with a slathering of yellow mustard. It helps the rub stick, and lets some vinegar soak in. You don't want to lose the meat on the outside edge. That's where the smoke ring is!!!

You said it was your last 6 or 8 smokes . . . how often have you made this in the last two years?

Anyway, is it possible that you switched meat markets? Is it possible that your meat market switched vendors?

I would double check your meat thermometer just to be sure it's not out of whack. Also how long do you let it rest before pulling?

I always add some vinegar sauce for flavor after I pull, but if your pulled meat seems dry you can try mixing in some apple juice or vinegar sauce to get some extra moisture.

-Dave

Thanks for your responses. I normally do the dry rub recipe from here, although it's common that I put the rub on only minutes before the butts go on the grill.

Once the butts come off, I double-wrap them in heavy foil for up to 4-6 hours before serving.

I do have two good thermometers that are reading about the same, so I think I'm good there.

I have been wondering if they are just cooking for too long - I may try a higher heat next time as suggested.

Thanks for all suggestions so far - please do keep them coming!

Cooking too low and too slow can have a drying effect. If you're measuring 225° at the dome, you would be cooking at more like 210-215° at the top grate. Try 250 at the grate (265-270 at the dome) next time. I even let the water pan run almost dry towards the end, and it goes up to 275, sometimes 300 for the last couple hours (no Guru here). Still comes out great. I've also taken to pouring anything collected in the foil into a fat separator, and letting it separate while I pull the meat, and then returning the juice to the pork, along with some rub and vinegar sauce.

I did a test recently where I added vinegar mustard sauce while pulling and kept another batch plain, then froze both in small portions. The one with the vin mustard sauce was moister after reheating. Even after adding some sauce to the reheated plain portion, it came off as a little dry and flat compared to the one with the sauce when pulling.

How long do you let the butts rest before you pull them apart ? How about basting with a little apple juice in a spray bottle ?

Sean:
I have two suggestions that haven't been mentioned here. the first is brining. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html
Brine one and do one unbrined and run them side by side and see which is jucier. If you need a good brining container, Cash N Carry sells great food grade tubs in all sizes.

the second is brining bone-in roasts. It takes a little bit longer, but those bones baste from within. A really good place to get a good shoulder is Central Market in Shoreline. that's where I got the 21 pound hog leg I cooked last weekend.

I guess I have a third suggestion, which is to keep a good eye on the water supply. the rendered fat from the leg takes up your water space, so you will want to refill the tray more often than with ribs or brisket.

Shamus

You said you let the butts rest for 4 - 6 hours. Did you wrap the butts still smoker-hot and straight out of the cooker? Keep in mind that due to the mass of pork butts they will indeed keep cooking once they're in foil, and it's conceivable that the butt continues to cook to the point of overdoneness. If the bone is letting loose and the butt looks like it's collapsed in on itself when you foil it, it could possibly be of help to leave the foil open for, say, 10 minutes or so, to let the meat cool just a bit so that it doesn't essentially continue cooking. Pour some apple juice into the foil with the butt when you wrap it to rest as well - as it cools the meat will absorb much of the liquid.

I was having that problem with brisket for a while - nice brisket going into the foil, overcooked pot roast coming out.

Jsut my 2-cents' worth, whatever that's worth these days.
icon_smile.gif

Keri C

Back