Why almost no colors in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
George...what would be your favorite color if you could have it...AND...would you be willing to buy a brand new grill at the same prices Weber currently charges? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If I was asked that question, I would buy a blue wave 22.5 and I would pay the Amazon price for it.

If Weber can run a limited production line of promotional grills for companies that commit to an "X" amount of them, its too bad they won't commit to a new color (limited amount) each year to see how well it does. I have a feeling though that since all those promotional grills are part of their standard color line (Corona blue, Heinekin green for example), that its easier. If they created a new color, it would probably be more difficult to set up the assembly lines for it.

In either case, Id gladly pay for a new grill...with a new color. I dont think that comes as a surprise though to anyone that knows me on here! LOL
My wishlist new style grill is a "old red" 26" Performer.

let me through this one out there. How about trying to get a kettle (Bowl and lid) in raw steel? Then have some local place enamel it for you? Still not cheap but my be better than wishing for Weber to produce some colors.

I work at Knoll in Muskegon on a paint line similar to webers (at least I think it is). We make steel office furniture and more. We have several paint lines that have parts that are hung on a moving chain. These travel down an assembly line thru different phases. We change colors like 20 times a day! All it is, is dry paint powder! Or powder coat as it is called. It would be a five minute change over no more. I know for a fact colors have a higher price but it would not add much to each unit.. Cmon Weber, give us a modern red head!

Dean, I think you're doing powder coat, which is a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. Weber is doing a porcelain enamel process fired at 1200-1400*F.

You can do red in powder coat, but it doesn't hold up well to grilling temps. To my knowledge, no one does red porcelain enamel anymore because of environmental concerns over the cadmium used in the process.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
let me through this one out there. How about trying to get a kettle (Bowl and lid) in raw steel? Then have some local place enamel it for you? Still not cheap but my be better than wishing for Weber to produce some colors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess is that Weber would not be interested in giving up the quality control on the finish. What if "some local place" botched the enamel job? People would see a kettle that doesn't look good, and may simply assume that it reflects poorly on Weber's quality standards. And in a way, they would be correct.

I know I wouldn't want to go down that road with a product that had my name stamped on it . . . particularly where I am pricing my product at a substantial premium over those of many of my competitors.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Dean, I think you're doing powder coat, which is a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. Weber is doing a porcelain enamel process fired at 1200-1400*F.

You can do red in powder coat, but it doesn't hold up well to grilling temps. To my knowledge, no one does red porcelain enamel anymore because of environmental concerns over the cadmium used in the process.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chris, I have been wanting to ask you to do a follow up on the Little Red Bullet Project for a long time. How is it holding up after all these years? It would help others to know in case they ever wanted to powder coat a WSM. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Chris, I have been wanting to ask you to do a follow up on the Little Red Bullet Project for a long time. How is it holding up after all these years? It would help others to know in case they ever wanted to powder coat a WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I no longer have Stephen Martin's email address and don't see him in a Google search.

Does anyone know what has become of Capt. Martin or the Little Red Bullet?

Regards,
Chris

I'm going to try painting one myself. My NIB lid had a blemish on it and Weber sent me a replacement for it so now I've got two. Being an Oklahoma State fan, I bought some Chevy orange engine paint and plan to paint one of the lids. I did some research on if the paint would hold up under grilling temp and couldn't find a straight answer but being engine paint it's got to. I think I'll finally get around to doing it this week.

usually engine paint is good to about 500, but then it breaks down and burns

header or caliper paint is made to withstand higher temps.

i use a paint rated to 900, but charcoal can burn a lot hotter than that.

Well input from a European: Sure we can get many colors and so on. We still pay more for these ones then the standard black. But over here i guess the importers goes for that option couse ppl get 1 grill and then they will pay $$$ for it.

To bad 90% of the buyers only make hotdogs on it.

Its "trendy" To own a fine looking grill...Same as a modern kitchen...Still the time spent on making your food decresses.

We could always setup a container with grills and ship
icon_smile.gif

I complain about not finding a dove grey performer or mastertouch. My big investment was a steel grey ep330 that I want to coordinate

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
George...what would be your favorite color if you could have it...AND...would you be willing to buy a brand new grill (in your color) at the same prices Weber currently charges? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to get a yellow grill. I just don't see too many of them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garth C:
I complain about not finding a dove grey performer or mastertouch. My big investment was a steel grey ep330 that I want to coordinate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a Dove Grey MT from Crate & Barrel I might be willing to part with Garth. Just email me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tim leo:
George...what would be your favorite color if you could have it...AND...would you be willing to buy a brand new grill (in your color) at the same prices Weber currently charges? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love too get a yellow grill. I just don't see too many of them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nobody sees too many of them Tim! You can come by me and I'll show you two of them if you like! If one ever posts in this area, you better be quick. Jim Lampe on this board has his car running at all times...just waiting to do a road trip for one of them!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garth C:
I complain about not finding a dove grey performer or mastertouch. My big investment was a steel grey ep330 that I want to coordinate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a Dove Grey MT from Crate & Barrel I might be willing to part with Garth. Just email me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Shaun. My first choice was a crate&barrel dove grey performer. I compromised when I got a good condition black performer last week. I think I'm good for now.

Garth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back