Who's cooking what this weekend?

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
Made the rounds this morning. Sam's, local Butcher shop and Publix. Two butts from Sam's and two racks of spares from Publix. Will fire up the WSM tomorrow afternoon for an overnighter for the Butts followed by the Ribs and maybe a Turkey Breast on Sunday. Picked up a large Sirloin and a killer looking Porterhouse at the Butcher shop to gril tonight.

I thought it interesting that Publix had the best looking Spares.

I've got about 20 people coming over for the game. I just did an overnighter with two butts (I posted the cook in the New Kingsford Sucks thread) and have two racks of spares on as I write this. Tomorrow night I'm putting on a 16 lb brisket. The girls are making the sides. Add some cold beers, friends and a game and I'm all set.

Enjoy the game!

Just putting on a slab in the morning and trying out the new guru.Migth do some sausages and chicken sunday.

Seeuuu
Jeff

I'm making a brisket flat, 3 racks of ribs and a smoked meatloaf. I have got to have one after seeing that picture everytime I log on to the TVWB site.

Mike

I'll be throwing a 4.6 pound sirloin tip on the WSM tomorrow followed by some BRITU ribs for the game on Sunday.

S Whipple

Just a couple butts starting tomorrow night for Sunday, maybe some steaks in the meantime. Can't wait!

18lbs of butt over a 12lb brisket. Gonna give the butts away to some friends. I just wanted my brisket kissed by butts all night.

I cut up a duck today saving the leg quarters to freeze for confit and boning out the breast halves to lightly smoke/grill/roast but the winds picked up, the thunder and lightning and rain (heavy) started and I had to Plan B instead. I decided to keep the same overall plan but just to pan-cook them instead. I made a stock out of the neck and wings and reduced it to a quarter-cup then rolled the breast halves in a combo of crushed peppercorns, fresh garlic, fresh rosemary, dried thyme and lemon zest and sauteed them in a little evoo, turning frequently, till the coating was crispy and the breasts felt medium-rare/medium. I rested them while I made a pan sauce out of the reduced stock, Dijon, brined green peppercorns and a little blueberry and blackberry preserves. Sliced thin on the bias and served atop brown basmati it was one of the best duck breasts I've done. I definitely want to do it again on the kettle.

Tomorrow I'm picking up briskets for a comparison cook and I'm thinking of squeezing in lamb and chicken or, since it came up elsewhere and it's been a while, a sirloin tip roast.

Good weekend cooks to all!

two 5# butts, and a 12# Brisket.

Also some pigs in a blanket (with a piece of Jalapeno & cheese!) and cheese dip.

Coronary Surgeons will be on hand for my guests. Just in case.
icon_biggrin.gif

Two huge slabs of spares, and some skirt steak are on now, for tomorrow I'm smoking some fresh kielbasa and turkey legs.

Also some hot cheese dip made with Rotel, velveeta and hot sausage.

DAMN THE DIET !!!!!

Al

i'm starting a 13 lb brisket this afternoon and the grilling some chicken wings closer to game time on sunday. guests are bringing sides and desserts.

Kevin-

I love reading you posts so informative. I have so many ducks and geese after a hunting season I love to try new recipes. I usually have them processed into summer sausage, snack sticks, and fresh sausage. However I love the taste of duck and will definetly thaw some out and try this recipie. If you could list the qty of spices used. Thanks.
As for this weekend I am doing 6 slabs of baby backs chicken legs and mild italian sausage.

Rick--

It's the combo of dry and moist ingredients (finely minced) and the lack of salt that make these sorts of mixes work. I do several similar to this (for chicken breasts, pork loin steaks, beef steaks) and they're great for pan-frying. You can use brined meats, if you wish, but pat thoroughly dry before rolling in the mix. If not using brined meat (I didn't for this cook) salt after slicing for serving.

For duck breasts, use skinned breasts trimmed of all fat.

1 c minced fresh parsley leaves (mince well; ball up in a paper towel and squeeze to extract as much water as possible; dump on the cutting board; fluff)

2 T minced lemon zest (a Microplane grater is perfect (if available) since it yields such light zest--or use a clean wood rasp with a light touch)

1 1/2 t coarsely ground black pepper

2 t crushed green peppercorns (quality greens can be crushed with your fingers)

2 T minced or garlic-pressed garlic

1 heaping T dried thyme (crush with your fingers)

2 t minced fresh rosemary

This makes enough for 4 duck breast halves.

Mix well with a fork in a wide, shallow bowl. Meanwhile, heat a large saute pan on high. Roll the duck breasts in the mix patting the mix on so that all that can be applied is.

Swirl a couple T of evoo in the hot pan, reduce the heat to medium, add the breasts, and cook without disturbing for a minute or so. Shake the pan to dislodge the breasts and continue cooking, turning twice or thrice, till the mix has crisped and the breasts are medium-rare to medium (about 10-12 min for store-bought breasts). Remove to a cutting board, tent with foil, and rest 5 min; slice thinly on the bias, salt lightly, serve.

I highly recommend making stock of at least the wings and neck (or the back) and reducing that to build a sauce.

Rain's gone but the temps are dropping and the winds are picking up. Looks like it's goinna be one of THOSE nights. Will slather and rub the butts in a little bit and fire the Smoker up around 5:00pm. Cheesecake is in the oven.

Butts are on for 5 hours now. Smoker temp is holding at 240 after a slow climb. 37 degrees and dropping outside. Made a windbreak in the corner of my deck and it seems to be working fairly well so far. Will probe the meat in the morning. Topped off the water pan and gonna crash for a few hours.

I got a 13 pound brisket on at 8:30 PM.

2 racks of spares go on at 5.

Food is being served early...like 2PM. And not at my house. So I gotta have things done early.

After all, don't want any distractions from those commercials!

Back