Who's a butcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ Polke

TVWBB Member
I'm no butcher, but I eat enough BBQ to know what St. Louis cut ribs should look like. Went to Costco this past week and picked up 2 slabs of spares. Package said "Breast Bone Off". Total weight of 2 racks was 9-1/2 lbs. ("Big pigs", I thought...). Isn't St. Louis cut breast bone off and brisket flap removed? Shouldn't these ribs have been just about done right out of the cryovac? When I laid the slabs out, it seemed as if the breast bone was still on and when I was done making them look St. Louis cut, I was left with about 6 pounds. Did i cut too much? How did I need to trim these out? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Hi PJ,

look at these ribs, I bought these at Costco here in Canada.... do these look at all like the ones you bought at your Costco ? ... I'm really curious about that. Costco across Canada has all the same meat, no matter what store you go to, from west to east, the ribs are always like the ones in the images here :
http://www.ottawa5star.com/bbqpix/

They are a "short rib" some call 'em spare ribs.

I'm really curious so let me know :)

I also forgot to add, - "Kirkland" is the signature brand of Costco here in Canada, I don't know about the United States though.

Mark /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The ribs I got were Swift brand in cryovac - much bigger slabs than what you have here. They had the ribs you show also under the Kirkland brand name.

Pj
I cooked these same ribs this weekend, the breast bone is removed but to St louis cut them there is a large piece of on top that needed to be removed.
Sound like you did them right. Did you find them salty, I sure did.
Jim

Jim--
Yeah, I found them a bit salty, too - although I used Paul Kirks recipe for Sugarless Texas Sprinkle and that contains quite a bit of salt to begin with. What did you use?

PJ-

Seems like I learn something new every day - I thought those were just your run-o-the-mill spareribs. Did you pick 'em up from the Costco in Brooklyn or in Queens?

I had to switch because the cost of the baby backs at Costco has skyrocketed! They used to be $2.29 a pound, now, I'm lucky to find 'em at $3.49.

$4.99/lb. for BBs is average retail here. $3.49/lb. at a warehouse club is about right these days, I believe.

I got them at the Costco by Kennedy Airport on Rockaway Turnpike. Fact is, the closer to summertime, the higher the price on ribs and other meat products suitable for grilling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJ Polke:
[qb] Fact is, the closer to summertime, the higher the price on ribs and other meat products suitable for grilling. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Fortunately not so down here, where it's grilling weather pretty much year-round.

Ghosts and all, I always did like New Orleans. I have to go down for business again in September - I have been to some great restaurants. Where do the locals go?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJ Polke:
[qb] Ghosts and all, I always did like New Orleans. I have to go down for business again in September - I have been to some great restaurants. Where do the locals go? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Everywhere they can afford. Let's see-- barbecued shrimp at Manale's on Napoleon Ave, steaks at Dickie Brennan's in the French Quarter, neighborhood-seafood-joint seafood at The Galley on Metairie Road, grilled oysters at Drago's in Fat City, Andrea's northern Italian cuisine in Metairie (suburb), and far too many more to list here. Pick up a Gambit newspaper when you get here-- it always has lots of good resaturant info.

The Gambit - thanx for the tip. Been to Dickie Brennan's (hard not to fall into one of the Brennan's restaurants in New Orleans!). Last time in I went to a place in Carrollton called Jacques-Imo's Cafe. A young crowd but some very innovative food. I caught up with the chef after hours - turns out the guy is from New Jersey. Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back