Whole Turkey - Salted

Frank Novak

I have used this recipe several times, always turns out great. Prior versions of this recipe indicate the need to rinse the turkey before cooking otherwise it will be too salty. This current version of the recipe does not indicate the rinse step. What has changed? Is the rinse step not needed? I would like to use the current recipe but am worried I might ruin the turkey by being too salty. Anyone have advice?

The amount of salt has been reduced, eliminating the need to rinse after salting.

The Cook's Illustrated recipe for Roast Salted Turkey from 11/1/2006 uses 2 TBSP salt inside the cavity, 1 TBSP salt under skin of each breast half, and 1 1/2 tsp salt under skin of each leg.

The Cook's Illustrated recipe for Simple Grill-Roasted Turkey from 11/1/2012 uses 4 tsp salt inside the cavity, 1 TBSP salt under skin of each breast half, and 1 tsp salt under skin of each leg. Then 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp baking powder is applied to the skin.

My original article followed the Cook's 2006 recipe. The revised article published this month follows the Cook's 2012 recipe, except that I reduced the cavity salt even further, from 4 tsp to 1 TBSP.

Hope this helps!

Chris, I am following your salted article this year and, after reading it several times, making a cheat sheet with notes etc, yesterday afternoon I did forget add the baking powder to the salt and pepper that covers the skin.

"Man has a plan and God laughs" ;)

I'm hoping it won't change much the overall result, or everybody will be laughing but me. :cool:

Thanks very much Chris. Looking forward to trying the new version. I have always had good results and very favorable compliments using the prior version.

I'm hoping it won't change much the overall result, or everybody will be laughing but me. :cool:
It will turn out fine. The baking powder is alkaline, which promotes crisping and browning of the skin, but that's icing on the cake, so to speak. You'll be enjoying a great turkey tomorrow. :)

Thanks very much Chris. Looking forward to trying the new version. I have always had good results and very favorable compliments using the prior version.
And if you liked the old version, there's no reason to switch, except to be able to skip that rinsing step, which I always find such a hassle.

Enjoy!

I actually thought the same thing, Frank. I re-read the article several times thinking "I could have sworn I read that I need to rinse the salt off" :)

Did a test run yesterday (first time trying the whole salted method). Worked out well. Think I'll do turkeys like this from now on.

Back