whole top sirloin roast today - update - pics added

t wright

TVWBB Member
Happy Saturday to everyone. So far today I've spent 30 minutes on the phone with DISH network arguing with them, and finally gave up on a $25 refund that I deserved, but I've got a bright day ahead of me.

I will be doing a whole sirloin for the first time...I had some smoked sirloin at a rest. that I loved, so I'm going to try to re-create it...we'll see how that goes...

I don't really have much of a plan...I will be using "K" and pecan chunks...haven't decided what temp is best...any ideas?
I plan on rubbing with maybe some wooster and then maybe montreal steak seasoning, or just salt and pepper..

any body have any advice? looking forward to doing this...hope i don't mess it up, but if i do, well then at least i learned what not to do next time right?!

i've done 2 sirloin tip roasts and did them both around 235 to an internal temp of 125-130 and foiled for an hour. that gets you a good variety from the outside in of medium to medium rare. the left overs are good sliced thick and brought to room temp(so inside doesn't over cook) and then seared over high heat for a nice steak.

edit, i meant 125-135 not 135-130...lol

i like the wooser and steak rub idea. i used cherry wood for both of mine, but any wood should be good.

Sounds like a good plan. I would agree with those temps.

I have never had a single good experience with any satelite dish provider. Good luck.

Make sure to take some pictures man! I want to see this
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t wright:
tony, about how long did that take?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't really remember. i want to say from smoker to plate(including resting an hour) was about 4 hours. you could rest it for at least 2 hours wrapped in HD foil and even longer if you put it in the cooler.

everything turned out good...i would say great, but very good...it was the first time i've done it...had some trouble maintaining temp, but it helped get it done quicker, so i can't complain b/c we were hungry!!

the outside corners were probably a little over medium, with the inside half medium rare, to rare...

Here's a pic of the whole roast.
IMG_4398.jpg

sat. night dinner!
IMG_4402.jpg

sunday lunch, french bread, with mayo and a hint chipotle ranch spread on bread, sirloin strips cut up with wooster and montreal steak seasoning on them
IMG_4403.jpg

next up i want to do tri-tips..i've already called a local butcher and they actually knew what it was and could cut it up for me.

Looks good man! I wish I had it sitting here in front of me right now, the wife is going to Hardees for hangover food. She said what do you want, I said Nothin.
icon_frown.gif

lol brandon...those lunch sammies were right on...perfect for hangover food...i'd ship some in the mail for you if i could..

Back