Whole Smoked Turkey in a Kettle

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
I am very comfortable w/ meat and seafood but not so much w/ poultry. As far as turkey in the oven, no problem, but I have had a hankering for turkey smoked. Unfortunatly, I can't get a fresh turkey at this time of year, but was able to get a free range organic that weighed in about 10 3/4 lbs.. First I brined it overnight using the Alton Brown recipe which I use every Thanksgiving-it really is the best. Then I injected it w/ an herbed butter/wine mixture. In the cavity I put the left over celery, onion, and shallot. We used indirect heat and used hickory, mesquite, and a little apple I had left over. The remaining herbed butter I used to baste the bird. It does brown fast, and I was afraid that I would end up w/ carbonized turkey but after about 3 hours it was good. I hit it w/ another heavy coat of the herbed butter and wrapped it in foil. As far as the stuffing/dressing I made Mom's usual recipe and took the drippings from the pan and mixed some it it before putting it in the oven. Quite good.
There are a lot of postings as far a breasts and legs but not a lot about a whole turkey.

There are several whole turkey articles on the Web site...click the Cooking tab at the top of this page, then scroll down to the Poultry section.

Gobble gobble,
Chris

Chris,
I did see the articles, but on the boards there isn't much. I really love this board. Thanks so much for this forum!
OK, this weekend there will be some good smoking!

Back