Whole shoulders or split?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello guys, sorry it's been a while. Busy with work, no time for smoking /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif My first cook went pretty well, but I made a rookie mistake of not putting enough coal on to start, so I was fighting the temp for most of the day.

ANYway, this weekend is the big shabang. My friend shot a pig (legally, or so he says) and is bringing me both shoulders (minus the picnics) and 2 honkin' racks of ribs.

He said the pig was fairly lean, and the shoulders are "only" about 6-7# per. Would you guys typically have something that size split? I took about 12 hours to do a 4# roast last time (of course fighting temperature), and don't think I can pull off a 16 hour burn. Thanks a BUNCH as always!

I haven't forgot about the donation, I'll get on that after this weekends UTTER SUCCESS.

Jerod,

I did an 8# butt this past weekend, my problem was that I was fighting temps the other way, hovering around 270 for the entire cook. This only took 1.5 hours per pound to cook to an internal of 199, dang it was good.

I think if you start with a very FULL chamber of charcoal and add 20-30 lit briquettes you shouldn't have any trouble with getting the temp up. Good luck.

Let me know how the wild pig turns out, my buddy shot one last fall and has 100# in his freezer. You should have seen his face light up when I told him that I bought a smoker.

Tim

If this hog is lean speeding up the cook is the wrong way to go. I would inject because it is lean and would keep my pit temps under 250?. Once the butt reaches 165 to 170? I would wrap in foil and finish at no higher than 195? internal.
Jim

Thank you guys! Late reply, but the cook went awesome. I had two 7 lb Boston Butts. Fired them up at 4 am, kept it near 250? all day, and BAM...a mere 15 hours later and they were over 195? internal and DAMN good. I injected them with some beer which hopefully helped. The meat was very lean so it was a LITTLE bit drier than usual, but I heard no complaints. I used Tim's plan of adding 20ish briquettes to a full charcoal bowl (Kingsford to start). Had all the vents halfway, caught 5 hours of sleep, and woke up to a temp of 235? in the dome. DAMN this things sweet! I wanted to post about it after the feast, but I was somewhat intoxicated at that point /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Anyway, just a late THANK YOU for the advice. I kept the fire low and slow, and it didn't get too dry. Leaving the thing for 5 hours was amazing. I love the WSM!! Looking forward to possibly doing some kielbasa this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back